In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

8mm Mauser

Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Just started on a Gewehr 88 model 1890 built at Amberg Arsenal. This is a well built rifle with an excellent bore. I don't have a production date but well over 100 years old and it would probably shoot just fine. It is cool to be able to examine rifles with this kind of workmanship. In contrast I have a new Remington 783 chambered in .30/06 with plastic rear of the bolt and a plastic barrel nut to list.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

A little illustration of the model discussed:

Best.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭

I love the old Mausers. What craftsmanship. I have a Turkish Mauser and two Swedes.

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

The older commercial Mauser M98 usually displayed some terrific machining and assembly. But that was a time when virtually everything was hand fit. John Speed's book has some amazing old photographs of the Mauser factories and the craftsmen.

Best.

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

I believe the G88 uses a different bullet than the 98.

The 1905 patron is a .323 diameter bullet that was used in the 98k.

The 1888 pattern is a .312 round nose bullet and it was used in the 1888 rifles.

I think they were all retro fitted before WW1 but I could be wrong. They are cool rifles though kind of like a Argentine Mauser.

RLTW

• Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭

That is a wonderful rifle. You will enjoy it. I have some many Mauser rifles I can not remember which ones I own. They all are a pleasure to shoot. I just picked up a Turkish Gew 1888 conversion. Which has a ton of markings on it.

• Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

There is a lot of action using Gewehr 1888 rifles in 'Sherlock Holmes- Game of Shadows', in addition to many older interesting firearms.

In one shot, there is a close up of the empty ejecting, and a fresh round in the magazine which appears to be the older round nosed 1888 cartridge.