In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Selling FROM Free State TO California

I am about to auction a Glock 21 Gen 2 with the 13-round magazine. The gun is on California's "roster" [1] so it's legal for CA residents to bid and buy.

I'm more than a bit confused about a few CA laws.

1) Is the 13-round mag also on the "roster?" I don't see any magazines on the roster anywhere [2], but I see some sales that claim the 13-rounders are OK. New mags seem to be limited to 10 rounds. Two of the mags are original but two are new. Are any 13-round magazines legal as long as they're for this gun, or only the original, circa-1994 magazines? How would anybody know?

2) I also have a new ETS 30-round mag for this handgun. Would it be OK to bundle it since the gun is on the roster or would lumping it in with the sale basically make the whole package illegal in CA? I suppose I could leave it out if necessary.

3) It looks like as a private seller, I don't have to get an extra licensee-check letter (CFLC) to ship to a CA FFL [3]. Any private sellers here ship to CA FFLs? Did you have to deal with the extra hassle of the CFLC?

4) I know CA requires their own background check, the DROS, and it's extra [4]. Who pays for that? Does the buyer just pay the receiving local FFL directly, like all the other FFL fees? Will CA FFLs refuse to receive unless I collect the DROS fee as the seller and send it to the FFL along with the gun?

5) Any other states have a problem with the Gen2 Glock 21 with 13-round mags? Besides the usual IL, NY, NJ and MA nonsense.

Thanks everyone for helping a first-time seller. Google is pretty useless and searching these forums came up empty, too.

Thanks,

JPS

[1] https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/handgun/21

[2] https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/certified-handguns/search

[3] https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs#2

[4] https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/drosfee

Comments

• Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

1. No, you can't send the 13rd unless the buyer is law enforcement.

2. No. Again, 10rds or less.

3. No idea, we are an FFL and gladly ship to California so I don't know if private people have to mess with it.

4. Dros would be between the buyer and his transfer dealer, you don't have to concern yourself with it.

5. Just some of the states that have 10rd mag limits, there are very few. The ones you mentioned plus California but Illinois doesn't have the magazine restriction i don't believe.

I'm not an expert on California state law but I believe my answers are correct.

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭

Illinois does not have a mag restriction unless it’s Cook county, I believe .

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited December 2020

You seem to have the basics covered. Magazines over 10 rounds have been prohibited from importation into CA since...well, since 21 years ago today! (31 December, 1999).

As a private party, you are exempt from the CA licensee-check letter (CFLC). Just make sure that the dealer receiving the pistol accepts shipments from private individuals. Some dealers insist on FFL to FFL. Know before you ship! 

The buyer pays all fees on his end. None of that should worry you.

Here is a list of states with magazine restrictions. So far as I know, it is current. I'm a Class 3 dealer and it is the list I use.

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭

As a non-licensee too, I went through the same investigation. I found the CA AG's website to be unintelligible, but I believe that you would have to register just as a dealer must.

Your biggest other problem is that a n-l may (by federal law) ship a handgun only through UPS or Fedex (NEVER US MAIL), & the common carriers require that you ship handguns by Next Day Air. Shipping will cost $80-100 when you add insurance & adult delivery only.

My LGS will ship a handgun by USPS for me & charges $50 for his services, which is a fair price, plus the PO charge. He is CA registered, so I don't have to worry about it. Like shootyouadeal, he is familiar with shipping to other states & knows all the special requirements. He has a computerized system that prints the label & receipt, & electronically keeps his "bound book". I suggest that you find someone like that near you.

Neal

• Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭

Smart sellers avoid selling to Kalifornia.

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    JohnPlayerSpecialJohnPlayerSpecial Member Posts: 2

Agreed. I mainly want to include CA to get the best bid. But if I do that, I gotta prepare for the worst-case scenario that a Kalifornian wins it :-)

Thanks so much for everyone's quick feedback. What a great community.

I think I'll just put a disclaimer that if a Californian wins, they only get the pistol and not the mags, then sell the mags on eBay if they don't go to the winner.

Ultimately, I have to compare the costs and effort of selling here vs. just selling it at 20% commission at my local gun shop.

I have more total noob questions but I'll put them in a separate thread. I don't like thread hijackers, so I won't hijack my own.

--JPS

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited December 2020

Glad to be of some assistance. Keep in mind that eBay forbids the sale of magazines above 10 rounds. List them here on GB.

Being a longtime F1 fan, your username caught my eye instantly. Oh, and welcome to the forums.

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭

Courious -- What are the 6 largest economies in the world?

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,067 ******

Asked/Answered. Hijacked.

This discussion has been closed.