In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

decapping, resizing, neck lubing and the many ways to go about it help.....

Lately I've had more time to play around at the loading bench, and like always, my mind gets to wandering, and I usually end up in the weeds. My latest excursion has taken me down the path of resizing/decapping and lubing rifle cases. I've always been one to use the F/L sizing die to decap and size in one stroke, and not lube my necks. After some reading, there are so many different ways to go about these processes. Some say to do it the way I am currently. Others mention to use a separate decap die, and remove the expander ball on the F/L die for neck sizing only. Others mention lubing the expander ball, while others say to use dry mica or wax lube. Then there's the whole carbide thing....To many different ways to go about it. I think that I could improve the way I do things, so I am wondering what you do, and why it works, or is better. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Since I full-length resize for most of my rifle cartridges (not into bench rest, etc.), I have found a dip into a dry mica powder facilitates the withdrawal of the expander ball a lot. It leaves no wet lube that might tend to damage some of the powder, or affect bullet grip to the case. I have more than 50 years of reloading experiences, and I went to that process developed a long time ago. One thing to note, necks can get thicker after several reloadings, maybe with trimming back a time or two. The brass flows forward. That can make expander ball more and more difficult to withdraw, even to the point of pulling the case shoulder forward. I have never gone to the internal neck reaming, or outside neck reaming, which has its own set of complications, plus time requirements. I usually discard the brass when that becomes a factor. And also, much depends on the caliber, brass make, etc.

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Carbide dies for straight wall pistol cartridges are definitely the way to go is you are loading for competition - much faster. For rifle hunting reloads I do as you do, size and decap i one operation. I may neck size only if the case is only used in the bolt action rifle it was fired in. Bench rest and other competition shooters can be very fussy about neck sizing and bullet tension for maximum accuracy.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the replies. As for the carbide thing, I wasn't very clear, I was talking about a carbide mandrel, rather than the standard expander ball.

• Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

I use this product at this link

Imperial neck lube and Imperial case sizing wax. Not messy and does a good job and lasts forever.

Case Lubrication for Reloading Ammo | Great Prices & Selection (midwayusa.com)

I always de-grease the OD cases before sending them to the polishing media.

I sometimes have to use the RCBS case lube if some cases won't to stick in a die,

but it's messy to clean off the cases as compared to Imperial.

A Ultra Sonic is really a good thing for cleaning cases before sending them to the polishing media. Grease/oil will ruin media fast.