In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Refinishing Opinions

DerBarbarianDerBarbarian Member Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hey guys, per the title I have a couple of questions about refinishing a few guns. I have an AR, a Sig 229, a Mossberg 590 and a Mossberg 930SPX that are in need of refinishing, I've heard great things about the Cerakote, and I'm wondering how well that holds up over time? The Sig, AR, and 930 are all parkerized, whereas the 590 is blued. The finish on the 930 SPX from the factory was honestly garbage so I've been thinking about doing that one for a while, but the others have just had some rough wear and tear and are in need of a fresh start. So I'm kinda looking for opinions on what the best method would be, as mentioned I've heard great thinks about the cerakoting, so I'm just wondering how well that holds up compared to traditional bluing/parkerization.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

'...and I'm wondering how well that holds up over time?'

This all depends on how each of the firearms is treated and the use they are subjected to. Obviously the harder the use the shorter the survival of the finish.

We Cerakoted hundreds of rifles used for PRS competitions which withstood lots of physical abuse during those competitions. Rifles routinely were dragged through concrete culverts, dragged across rocky soil, fired during downpours, shot from every imaginable barrier throughout the weekends. Cerakote was the best solution we could come up with which withstood most of the beatings. It will show wear after significant abuse, there is no coating or covering which won't.

Cerakote is easily applied over Parkerizing after proper surface cleaning and preparation.

Best.

• Options
    DerBarbarianDerBarbarian Member Posts: 289 ✭✭

Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it! I know the "how well it holds up over time" is a bit subjective haha, they won't be going through any crazy abuse, just the usual storage and taking them out to the woods on the weekends for plinking and what not. Again thanks for the info!