In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nikon is out of the scope business and for good reason.

I took the 2X7 Nikon Prostaff off the spare Encore 45-70 barrel and put it on a E.A.Brown 450 Bushmaster barrel.

I began sighting in at 50 yards to make sure I was on paper, the scope has 1/4" at 100 yard clicks, (not MOA). The first shots were 3-1/4" to the right. I went 26 clicks left and shot again. The impact was about 1/2 the way to center. It was also now 3"+ high.

Coming down 22 clicks and another 16 left got me on the left upper side of the 10 ring.

A three shot group went into a 1" group still 1" left and on top of the 10 ring.

When I went another 4 clicks left it blew the group out 2" to the left. Three full inches of movement with fur clicks.

The repeatability of this scope is HORRID. Its accuracy in movement is HORRID. I will fine tune the zero at 100 yards to be 1-1/2" high. That will be good enough for deer out to the max of 200 yards I will be shooting.

Has anyone else had my bad luck with Nikon scopes??

Comments

• Options
    rgnot3rgnot3 Member Posts: 28

Good riddance. Who would want to buy a scope that's sub standard and coming from a Japanese company that's worried about the fact that selling scopes, since they are associated with guns throws shade on their other product lines? I would not spend a penny on Nikon products of any kind. Now that they have abandoned a huge sector of the buying public lets do them a favor and not buy any of their other crap. When will these companies learn that knuckling under to the left will only bring financial ruin and a whole lot less customers. I wont miss them!

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

I have a under warranty bad Monarch 1.5x5 scope that the front lens fell down inside the tube.

Their repair site for scope is/was in Kalif.

I called to confirm address, etc. Guy answered the phone as Customer Service. I asked about getting my scope repaired under warranty. He indicated the Kalif scope repair place is close and to send it to NY, city.

I asked why is Kalif closed.

It's closed due to Covid he says.

Sure wished people would quit using that EXCUSE. How long can they ride this excuse?????????????

I'm thinking seriously about throwing it in the trash.

I have some Nikon Larger power Nikon Monarchs scopes that I need a big Monkey wrench and cheater bar just to turn the power ring up and down. The could have at least put flat spots on the power rings so as to use a big crescent wrench for leverage.

I will miss them one bit, good riddance.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Okie, They are not repairing scopes any more at all. They have no inventory to fix them. They will offer you a credit on their retail store for stuff you don't need or want. That is what they did it to me on the third busted BDC scope I sent in.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

I have 4 Monarchs on various varmint rifles that are at least 10 years old. When I bought them they were the best glass for the money that I found. Back then my customers had nothing but good things to say about the quality of their Nikons. I purchased mine based on the quality of their product and service. Since then it seems they have lowered the quality to compete in a much more crowded market. Not sure what I will do if one of mine goes bad because I really don't need or want any of their other products. Bob

• Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

Thanks. I'll check out their store before I think about sending.

I have some OLD model Nikon Monarchs that I bought over the years, some new some were used, back when people bragged on them because Nikon's were priced reasonable and good glass as compared to Leupold price and others manu's scopes. Most of my larger Nikon Monarch scopes are very hard to turn the power ring and or the AO as they have aged, cannot turn them at all with gloves on and harder to turn during cold weather.

Another good reason to buy American made Leupold scopes. (even used ones)

• Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭✭

Bass Pro and Cabelas every once in awhile offers a scope trade in. (for purchasing their overpriced products)