In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin 981T misfire issue

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭

I have a Marlin 981T I noticed lately I have been getting a lot of light strikes on the rim of the bullets. I replaced the firing pin/striker and the main spring in the bolt that pushes it forward.

Still same problem. Than I noticed, that for whatever reason if I pull the trigger harder and faster it goes bang every time.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

clean lube polish debur

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not familiar with that model, but if you have cleaned and lightly lubed the firing pin and channel, I'd suspect a sear problem. A slow trigger pull may be giving you a bit of gradual release before it totally disengages. A quick pull may be releasing all the spring tension at once.

• Options

Sorry, I should have mentioned the rifle has been mine since it shipped from the factory in 2007 and it is clean and properly lubricated and has functioned flawlessly since I bought it.

• Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭

remove trigger group and inspect, spray clean with WD-40 and wipe off excess, apply a few drops oil and wipe off excess, reassemble and test fire.

I would also remove bolt and inspect then spray with WD-40 and wipe off excess

just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options

It seems people don't read posts anymore these days.

• Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭

OK :

light strikes on the ' rim of the bullets ' ???

Never seen ' bullets ' with a RIM ?

One word : GUNSMITH !!!

Thanks !!!

The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

DO NOT USE WD 40 on guns!!!!!!!! It is not a gun guy's friend.

Use carb or brake cleaner, it is DESIGNED to remove "gunk" and carbon then evaporate leaving a dry clean surface ready for lubrication. When the parts are dry use the proper gun lube, Remoil or a million others designed for GUNS, not squeaky door hinges. WD 40 is a moisture remover that is not a very good lube. It dries to a varnish like mess that is not good for guns with .001 tolerances.

• Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

I have been using WD-40 since it was developed (well almost 1965) with no ill effects to any firearms, I also use other cleaners and lubricants.

Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) (wd40.com)

read its intended uses on the msds above.

just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options

So I replaced every spring in the T-900 trigger control group with new factory springs. I replaced the striker spring inside the bolt along with a new striker. Basically what happens now is that I'll work the bolt which will cock when it opens but de-cock on closing. Obviously this is not acceptable and dangerous to say the least.

And yes to the other post I meant the rim of the cartridge. Of course that doesn't matter much now as I clearly have some kind of trigger and sear engagement issue (I think?). After examining them under a magnifying glass I am thinking I mush have just worn one of the out. The surface of the trigger hook seems to have just worn out over time and does not seem to try and catch like on other rifles.

I'll keep on at it and report back when I finally get this fixed I'll let y'all know what the fix turns out to be.

• Options

I meant the rim of the cartridge. And if you have never seen bullets with a rim you would be surprised at some of the stuff you see when you get big into muzzle loaders.

This discussion has been closed.