In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Can someone please explain to me how you can impeach a president after he leaves office???

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2021 in Politics

I don't want this to be a political topic. I just don't understand. Isn't impeachment used to try and remove a President from office?? So if the President is no longer in office, how can he be impeached?? Can someone explain this to me??

Inquiring minds want to know!

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited January 2021

Trump was impeached while still in office with a House vote of 232 in favor, 197 opposed and 4 not voting. Now the trial phase moves on to the Senate. Obviously he can no longer be removed from office, but if found guilty of the single charge of "Incitement of Insurrection" he can be barred from ever holding public office again.

The entire point of this dog and pony show is to ensure that Trump does not appear on any ballot in any state in 2024.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

The lying stealing dems and republicans need Trump gone for good. He is a threat to them as he is honest, loves America, and is so much smarter than they are. They don't want him coming back in four years when the American people are looking for a leader instead of what we just got. How can they impeach him?? When you can change the rules you can usually win any game you choose to play.

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

What Mark said they want him banned from ever trying to run for POTUS in the future.

They fear him.

They would also like to see him in jail if they can.

RLTW

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,653 ******

Senator: The election’s over. Our side won the election :There’s an old saying: To the victors belong the spoils. 

Fletcher: There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my neck and tell me it's raining.

• Options

Guys, I understand WHY they are doing what they are doing! The slime balls are terrified of Trump! Trump is everything the worthless pieces of excreatment, * openings aren't. What I can't get is how is this legal??

OK. I'm sorry. I'm talking demonrats. demonrats care nothing about legality, as we all know.

• Options
    Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

Read Alinksy's Rules for Radicals. It will help you understand the warped minds and their reasons for doing what they do.

It doesnt come naturally to sane, thinking folks. You have to delve into the insanity to understand it.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

The Demo's are vindictive and this could back fire.

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

Very very close. He was impeached in the House, now the Senate's role is to try him with the evidence presented (none) to see if it warrants removing him from office. But that's already happened.

To bar him from ever holding office again is a separate matter and separate vote in the Senate. Because impeachment is a political act, the Senate has nothing more to do unless they decide they want to "go there".

That will tip the cards and reveal to We, the People exactly who need to be voted into oblivion at our next opportunity.

• Options

Nanuq, I agree with you about seeing who we need to vote into oblivion but you are forgetting that more than half of the people in this country are blithering idiots. With the propaganda machine telling them "Trump bad!" more than half the people will parrot the phrase "Trump bad!"

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

They are trying to discredit any and all changes President Trump made by destroying his political power and influence. They want to persecute him and his ideas out of existence. These changes and ideas are more dangerous to them than the man himself. In their mind, if they can discredit him, that legitimizes them changing things back to where they were. They also think they can influence the American people to this position, and unfortunately to a large degree they are probably right. We know better but a lot of people don't.

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭

The Dems want to put Republicans on the record as supporting Trump's supposed incitement of insurrection.

No doubt some GOP in the Senate will cower to these clowns. Trump's team should just show the 20 seconds of Trump's speech where he states that he knows that 'now you will go to the US Capitol and peacefully and patriotically let your voices be heard'. Tell Chuck Shumer that the children in the House are brain dead and if he had a sack he would dismiss the charges and tell his lemmings to go home.

They can't let go of their 5 year nemisis, but why should they? Their religious hatred and false attacks against him won them the Senate.

They will crash and burn. Hopefully they don't permanently screw the pooch for the rest of us.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options

Remember “It’s Bush’s fault”? After a while, that dog don’t hunt.

• Options
    Kevin RandolphKevin Randolph Member Posts: 2

Anyone read this in New York magazine Trump Nearly Fired Acting Attorney General Days Before Capitol Riot

don’t believe Q con job

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

In all seriousness, Congress and the senate do not care what the Constitution spells out about impeachment trials. Congress and the senate are concerned about POWER. Power makes them money. If they can come up with some cockamamie excuse to convict, and it serves themselves, they will do it.

The difference between Schumer and McConnell is impossible to find. They are two peas in a pod simply switching what pocket the money goes into.

The Constitution is clear on the result of a Senate conviction, removal from office. Since that bird has flown only ulterior motives will drive the trial and conviction to keep Trump out and serve as a warning to anyone from the outside ever running for POTUS again. It will take 17 (R)'s to convict Trump. Those senators looking at 2022, holding seats in changing demographics, will vote with reelection in mind. Doing what is right, for the right reasons will have nothing to do with their vote to convict.

The very impeachment is a political game to smear Trump. He did not incite a riot, his speech was still going on when the riot started. That fact will have zero weight in his possible conviction. The Senators voting to convict are looking for prime time exposure to make themselves look thoughtful, brilliant and oh so right.

Remember, Orange man BAD.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

ALL career politicians are afraid of Trump. Pressure applied to Pence caused him to jump ship as a political saving grace. The politicians won't give up their positions to a "commoner" w/o a fight. I doubt that most of the career politicians expected Trump to win in 2016 and they didn't want that to happen again(even the R's). The political steamroller will ensure that Trump can't make a comeback in 2024 even as an independant.

• Options
    MrMag00MrMag00 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

He is out of office.

Article II sec 4

The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.

He didn't commit any crimes, he cannot be removed and nothing says he cannot run again.

But it is irrelevant, as one of his kids will run.

But Biden did quid pro quo, not sure if that is technically bribery.

• Options

The correct answer is, why do we give a flying fickle what the left wants? They want to impeach him in the Senate? Fine, have a nice day. Just because you want something doesn't mean you get it.

We are the Right, we are coequal under the law, and we say NO.

• Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭

And of course it will be a fair trial 🙄 Supreme Court Justice Roberts has excused himself so Democrat Patrick Leahy will step in to “impartially” oversee the trial and still gets a vote. Total crock of poop if you ask me .

• Options
    Floyd621Floyd621 Member Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭✭

They are just driving the final nail in the coffin...

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

It is ALL about making sure he can not come back, and win another term in Office.

That is ALL it is about.

Scorched Earth Policy.

• Options

Donald J. Trump will live in these people’s heads until the day they die.

• Options
    edited January 2021

Impeachment is only to REMOVE the president or official from office. This is a double edged sword. Impeachment does not follow the same judicial practice as a civilian would be afforded. Trump is a civilian, he cannot be impeached. He now has full rights to a fair and impartial trial.

That cannot happen with a supreme court justice overseeing the trial. Sorry, but I don't know what lawyers are up to, but if Trump lets this slide without criminal charges against those pushing impeachment trial against a civilian, he truly is part of the swamp.

He most certainly could be indicted, but again, it has to work through the normal channels any other civilian would be granted. And he most certainly could have been indicted as a sitting president.

Any former president could be impeached if this were the case, but to what end? So no, Trump now has a greater legal recourse as a civilian and can sue in civil court for this political hit job.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

The dems are scared. They know that if the shallow minded voters who couldn't see past Trumps personality and voted for Biden aren't reminded how "bad" he is they will be voted out in droves in 2 years. This impeachment is an ultimate example of their cancel culture technique. Get the voters to ignore the great strides and accomplishments that were made pre-pandemic and the efforts made to combat the virus and focus on his abrasive personality.

Personally I think it would be great if he won the Nobel Peace prize because we would see dems heads exploding all over the place. Having the world thumb its nose at Pelosi and the rest sure would be fun to watch. Bob

• Options

So why didn't they impeach Nixon? Because he stepped down. Nixon would have destroyed them if they came after him as a civilian like they are trying to do to DJT. Trump isn't half the man Nixon was.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

While I think more highly of Nixon than I do a lot of the presidents that we have had since then, he stepped down because he was guilty and wanted to avoid an impeachment trial. They couldn't go after him because he was given what amounted to a blanket pardon by Ford for any misdeeds he did while in office. We also didn't have the cancel culture then that we have now and most were content to let sleeping dogs lie. Bob

• Options

Article II, section IV of the Constitution lists the persons who may be impeached: "The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States".

Donald Trump is none of these. He is a private citizen, whether or not impeachment was commenced while he was in office.

Article I, section III, clause VI stipulates that the Chief Justice of the United States is to preside when the President of the United States is tried.

Chief Justice Roberts has recused himself and will NOT sit over this impeachment.

Therefore, there is no impeachment by Article 2, § 4 and by Article 1, § 3 cl. 6 of the Constitution. The democrats can attempt to force this square peg into their round hole all they want. They do not have a trial in the Senate.

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭

Same way they can "win" an election when they didn't even campaign. If you don't know it yet, they do WHATEVER they want!! Sad but true.

• Options
    Floyd621Floyd621 Member Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭✭

Yepp.. they are doing it every day..

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭

rules mean nothing to them, if they don't agree they just change them to fit the situation.......