In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pros and cons of joining the National Guard

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭✭

I don't have any military background. My 21 yo son has been thinking about joining the guard. I have zero problem with this but I thought it might be a good idea to find out more about the Guard since I don't know anything about the Guard!

All thoughts and opinions welcomed!

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

As I recall, there are "zero" benefits to be had unless you plan on being in for more than the first enlistment. (but that was a long time back)

Every few years the unit "mission" seemed to change too. Started out as a transportation unit, then it became infantry and finally we were quartermaster.

• Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

Disclaimer- i was active duty Army in the 80s and 90s and we alway looked down at the weekend warriors in their too tight wrinkled uniforms with long hair and drug issues. When I got out of the Army I would have rather been declared a democrat than join the NG. I have been told they are now professional soldiers and my outdated perspective is no longer accurate

I have to tell you the Air National guard treats its members very well.

My son belongs and made rank quickly. About once a year he gets a 30-90 day deployment. Stays in a hotel being Air Force. He is a jet engine mechanic

The GI Bill is way better than it used to be and the National Guard kicks in extra money for education. He was able to get his bachelors degree with zero debt.

formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭

I was active Navy and then stayed in the reserves.

When I was in the reserves in the 70's training was not very productive. When we did our annual training it was always difficult to get any productive training and the active duty people looked down upon us like JasonV stated.

In our state the benefits are really good. The Guard can go to any state college tuition free.

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭

A lot depends upon where your son is in his career path. If he's working a job that guarantees he can come back from training &/or deployment & find his job waiting, that's a good thing. But, if he's an insurance agent or an obstetrician, all his customers will move on & he will have to start all over again.

Also important is where he lives. In urban areas, the Enlisted Reserves may be a better choice than the NG, as the ER is only called up in case of war; OTOH, the NG is always called up for riots & insurrection, as well as natural disasters.

If he has a college degree, he may be able to get a direct commission when he joins. He should shop the various units in his area. Military intelligence or a field hospital are probably going to be better duty than, say, infantry.

He should insist on getting any promises in writing. A guarantee of sending you to OCS (Officer Candidate School) is not a promise that you will receive a commission; you get the school, but will often be denied the commission.

Neal

"Believe nothing you hear, & only half of what you see."

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

I now wish that I had gone reserve or Texas Nat'l Guard when I ETS'd...........oh well.

• Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

Folks like to joke about the National Guard being weekend warriors. The fact is, however, that our country does, and always has, depended on the National Guard to be an integral contributor to military missions. They stormed the beaches if Normandy, did multiple tours in Iraq/Afghanistan, and have done everything in between......and have paid the price right along with the active duty force.

If your boy is interested in the NG, there are certainly pros (education/training, GI Bill, Resume builder, etc.) However, he should also carefully consider the cons that could come from being part of an all too often over-taxed component of our military framework (note the below NIH article as an example).

https://citizen-soldiermagazine.com/the-bedford-boys/

• Options
    gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

"as the ER is only called up in case of war" BS. I did not join the reserves when I got out of the army & I got called up for a year from the control group & assigned to a reserve unit that got called up for no reason & served no purpose.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭

My Son-in law is coming up on 20 years in the Iowa NG. Deployed twice to the Middle East and now a full timer in a mostly admin position. From what I've heard, he plans to retire within 3-4 years. Seems to be a lot of variation between units as to compatibility and cohesiveness. Leadership can be questionable in some units. The problem lies in the fact that these things don't become apparent until you're locked in. You sign up and you're stuck with whatever you get until such time as you can switch units.

• Options
    cromaccromac Member Posts: 6

I put in 32 years in the ANG, worked on fighter type aircraft. Worked out well for me but couldn't have done it without my wife. Lots of deployments, and short notice TDY's . Would do it again...

• Options
    At The ReadyAt The Ready Member Posts: 3

hillbille Member Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭ January 28 SAID:

my only fear would be the current administrations attitude towards the military, more than likely end up with some very crappy duty assignments and worse living conditions, just look at poor guys in DC now and they want them to stay till march!!!!! being ex-military myself I hate to tell someone not to join unless it was a last resort for either health care or a job/paycheck.

I presume this is in reference to the newsclip showing troops in a parking garage. I may be wrong, but when it was the matter was researched it turned out they were usjng the parking garage only for the purpose of taking breaks.

If that be true my sympathy for their plight wanes; especially when I recall sleeping outdoors, on the ground and waking up with my sleeping bag covered with snow. All part of just another weekend drill.