In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Opinion: Sell Ammo By the Box or By the Case

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭

I just inherited a case of Winchester 30 Carbine ammunition that I plan to sell. It's sealed and probably 40 to 60 years old. It contains ten boxes (500 rounds) of the Yellow-Box 110-Gr Hollow Soft-Point rounds (W30M1). The exterior box is not pristine, but in good shape. I suspect the individual boxes are pristine, but I haven't popped open the exterior cardboard box to check. The ammo has been stored in a dry, temperature-controlled environment.

I haven't sold much ammo and I'm not sure if this stuff has any collector value. I would appreciate any advice on how best to market this stuff. Should I try to sell the case or by individual boxes? I'd appreciate your opinions.

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

I'd sell it by the case, or 2-5 box auctions.

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭

People will buy the case and be done with it. Right now a case would sell good at more than fair price.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,414 ***** Forums Admin

I say just sell the whole case. Shipping by the box is going to be almost as much as the sale price of the box. You can probably ship the whole case for the price of shipping three or four single boxes. Much more attractive to a buyer IMO.

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭

case due to shipping cost

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭✭

Scan the various completed ammo auctions. You will get more money selling one or two boxes at a time. It doesn't make sense shipping-wise, but I have noticed most buyers must not even consider shipping costs when buying ammo. I see Armscorp 30 Carb. fmj sold for $59.99/box or $109.99/ 2 boxes, plus shipping.

I see lots of 30 Carbine ammo selling or sold but none of the 1960s-'70s yellow box Win. hollow SP ammo you have. It is much more desirable than common fmj and will bring a stunning price if the right guys get on it. If you list it on GB go to General Discussion and plug it. I would like to see what it brings.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Make sure that you are clear on how/where to ship it, start it at $0, and let it run for 2 weeks ending on a Sunday night.. You will be very happy..

• Options
    hk9403006 hk9403006 Member Posts: 7

I just sold several lots here on the auction site, one a spam can of 30-06 AP (16 lbs) and shipping thru ups was $21.00.

UPS had what they call flat rate shipping based on the cubic inches of the box, I think max weight is 50#.