In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1887 12ga 1888 production date, all original, whats' a ball park value?

Gun BowannaGun Bowanna Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited February 2021 in Ask the Experts

this just walked in the door, fellow wants to know value for the family.

Winchester model 1887 , with a 1888 production date.

serial number is 145xx

No damage to the wood or buttplate. Has NOT been refinished and there is no abuse or flaws to it.

26" Barrel. it MAY have been cut and re-beaded (but not likely). Choke is Imp-cyl.

No pitting but a typical dull black..

No pitting in the bore,

Comments

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭

If I wanted a value on my gun, the first thing i would do is post the Make, Model, full serial number, and photos. Just sayin'.

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭

Double, single, Bay State Winchester or Baker? Fluid steel or Damascus?

• Options

HAHAHa

In my minds eye, the only 12ga 1886 worth discussing is a Winchester 1886 12ga.

I'll edit the top post and fix that.

When i posted, i was at the workbench desktop, i dont usually use the phone for this sort of thing. I know theres a couple on the auction side now but this one is way out of their league (in terms of condition). No refinishing of the wood has been done to it, or the metal, I'll get a picture up later as time permits.

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******

well..........considering Winchester never made a m-1886 in 12 ga. it should be worth a 'lot'

• Options
    edited February 2021

Yeah, my brain is wasted due to answering the same 'do you have 9mm/380/223/556 questions...

its an 1887 12ga lever mfg in 1888, patd date is 1886

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭

It was manufactured in June 1888. It is highly unlikely that it is factory original with a 26-inch Imp-Cyl bore barrel. Standard was a 30-inch Full choke, with an optional 32-inch Full choke barrel. Winchester did manufacture a small number of short barreled Riot Guns, but they must be verified with a CFM factory letter. Assuming that it has a chopped (shortened) barrel, the value of the gun took a serious negative hit. Still, it is worth something in the $800 - $1000 range just for the unaltered parts. Caution... do not shoot that gun with modern 12-ga shells. It was designed for black powder only, and for 2-5/8" maximum length shells. If you get the urge to shoot it, RST Ammo makes low-pressure 2-1/2" shells that are safe to shoot as long as the gun in in safe mechanical condition.