In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scientists Are Weaving Human Brain Cells Into Microchips

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

Truly a milestone for Trans-humanism for the quest of immortality. We believe?

serf

https://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-01/au-sca012621.php

“Our aim is to harness the unrivaled computing power of the human brain to dramatically increase the ability of computers to help us solve complex problems,” Aston University mathematician David Saad said in the release. “We believe this project has the potential to break through current limitations of processing power and energy consumption to bring about a paradigm shift in machine learning technology.”

Comments

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭

then one night while your sleeping they will stick a thumb drive up your * and reproram your chip

• Options
    edited February 2021

Nope but 5G wifi just might!🤩

This work really brings together an exciting interdisciplinary team of researchers to build on our individual strengths and interests. The focus of this project is on revolutionist the way we analyze information using specifically designed complex living neuronal circuits."

• Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

And my wife will have it activate the Bluetooth to her watch whenever I check out some cutie for longer than the 3 second rule!

• Options

She doesn't need A.I. to figure out how your brain is wired,On the otherhand if you have a cyborg made completely made out of silicon with human neurons inside a titanium skeleton ovelayed with skin then you have a terminator from skynet. Kind'a like science fiction turning into a science fact. Don't you think?

What is a paradigm shift? Is that like going to light speed in thought patterns? A singularity ,You think thus you are or is that a false I am that I am made by mankind?

serf

The research team is now embarking on a three-year study to demonstrate how human brain stem cells grown on a microchip can be taught to solve problems from data, laying the foundations for a "paradigm shift" in machine learning technology.

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

Human brain cells hold no speed improvement over silicon substrates. There is no benefit to including organic material into a chip other than heat displacement. The only reason the human brain is so capable is the massively MASSIVELY redundant and interconnected nature of the human neural net. Once you stick together enough silicon based computing bits to compare with the scope and scale of a human neural net, and provide the massively redundant communication pathways that can keep up, then the human brain becomes obsolete.

Then, the future belongs to the coders. Let's hope we remain benevolent.

• Options
    edited February 2021

Not quite,energy use is very low and it's fuel is different and then the possibility of quantum actions in living organisms may make a difference but I am no scientist.

serf

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

It comes down to heat management. I can build a computer more powerful than the human brain but it would be in flames in 5 minutes. Not optimal. 🤣

Quantum effects do occur in our day to day lives but not at the magnitude we’d ever notice it. I learned Schroedinger’s equation with paper and pencil, calculating the matter wave representing a marble being dropped from a ladder into a crack in the sidewalk. Its “position” is not known at 100% but the “error” in its position is so excruciatingly small we don’t notice it day to day. And I reject the whole Multiverse construct as an excuse for scientists who are deathly afraid to admit God exists, and knows.

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

Exactly how do they keep the cells alive inside the chip?

• Options

It's in the starting phase of discovery so no info is coming out until there is a patent filed I presume. But you can grow these cells in petri dish .

serf

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭

"But you can grow these cells in petri dish ."

IN A CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT