In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Light Primer Strikes

What are the causes of light primer strikes? Firing pin does not appear to protrude out of hole while pushing on it, broken? Before tearing it down to remove is there a solvent that can be used to dissolve any gunk? The strike on the primer is offset, not in center. CZ 97B. It only happens with this 45 not with my others so it’s not the reloads.

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I suspect a busted firing pin or a lot of gunk in the pin tunnel. Can you pull the firing pin and hose the hole out with carb/brake cleaner?

• 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭

The firing pin block stop must be pushed in, before the firing pin can move forward.

The velocity of the firing pin is what sets off the primer. Old dirt or grease my slow its forward travel. WD 40 Works for me. In fact, i have sprayed the whole gun with it at times.

Make sure the action is fully closed.

Are you using factory ammo or reloads? Having misfires?

[url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • benchmarkbenchmark Member Posts: 6

Reloads, but no issues with them on other pistols.

edited February 2021

Sir, with all do respect, WD 40 has made many gunsmiths good money. It dries into a semi-hard varnish like gunk that blocks trigger groups, firing pins and the inner workings of many guns. It is not a lubricant that should not be used on guns except for emergency washing to remove water. After use it should be removed with carb cleaner and re-oil the gun with proper lubricants. Remoil is a very good replacement for WD 40 as it does not gunk up and is designed for removing moisture and supplying lubrication to the moving parts of guns without causing the dried varnish mess that WD 40 does.

Dangerous question lol, where is the "iring pin block stop" located on a CZ97 B? I'll skip use of the WD. THanks.

WD 40 is great for washing out crud and old oils, when there is a problem to solve. I learned from 18 years in the gun business. & shooting in my 76 years. Why take a gun apart when a spray will fix it.

But wouldn't you need to scrub off caked on crud?

Scrub if spray cleaner doesnt fix the problem. WD 40 is so thin, it drains off the firearm quickly.

My Gold Cup 45acp has an inertia firing pin. Gun always fires, but shows a light firing pin strike. This type of firing pin does not stay in contact with the primer when firing. Normal.

You only have a problem if the gun misfires. I been using WLP for many years, with no problems.

Well I saved the WD for rusty hinges. I did a pencil test it didn’t fly so I bought an extended firing pin, new springs and all is good. The new firing pin spring was much smaller than the one that came out which is supposed to be a good thing. The old pin did not appear broke and I didn’t see any excessive fowling, but. Thanks for all the input.

I am so happy to hear you got to the root of the issue. A few bucks in parts and all is well. That is a good thing!