In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mauser Question

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭

I have acquired what appears to be some sort of Sporterized Mauser with a Mannlicher stock. I suspect it may be a 7 x 57 but I can't be sure. There are no numbers on the part of the barrel that I can see. I don't have any 7 x 57 ammo or action proving dummies if they are even made. Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    gustafsfangustafsfan Member Posts: 35 ✭✭

Detailed, quality photos of the action plus bolt and proof marks would aid greatly in determining as to what you have. Chamber cast of chamber & bore throat best way to determine what it's chambered for. Good luck.

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭

Chamber cast with a Bismuth alloy. Would be the only safe way, in determining the proper cartridge the rifle is chambered for. Most competent gunsmiths, would be familiar with this and have the Bismuth to do this.

Not difficult at all, and you could do it yourself if You had the Bismuth. Brownells and other gunsmith supply houses sell the Bismuth in ingot form.

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

If it is a 7mm then most likely a Model 93 or 95 that cock-on-closing. A Model 98 cocks on opening and has a large gas shield at rear of the bolt. A picture simplifies identification.

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭

armilite, just too vague a description without pics to even guess. Any used unknown rifle should be checked with a chamber cast, and headspace gauge.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭

Okay guys I'll post some pictures on Wednesday if need be I'll start another thread thanks. PS I was hoping to do this with out doing a chamber cast, thanks in advance.

• Options
    jimthompson502002jimthompson502002 Member Posts: 96 ✭✭

Markings!!

Maker's and so on...without them, no way to be sure.

Does it have the third locking lug?

Check the literature, and please, don't change anything until you have.

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭

Cautionary note relative to chamber casts.

Be sure to make cast that extends past the throat.

My best guess on the attached photo is that someone rechambered a 6.5 Arisaka to .308 Win.

Couldn't open bolt after someone attempted to chamber a round. Had to close it with a 2X4, tie the rifle to a tree and fire it with a LONG string

. One hell of a loud noise, but the action held with no sign of damage. This after filling the barrel with WD-40 and letting it stand for a week.