In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stevens 89 .22 rifle years of manufacture?

rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

Could someone please check a fairly recent edition of the Blue Book to see what it says about the Stevens Model 89 .22 rifle manufacture dates? It's the gun that is sort of a clone of the Ithaca 49 Saddlegun. My older Blue Book (2004πŸ™„) says "1976-disc.," which some folks interpret to mean it was only offered one year and so is "very rare." I know it was available well into the 1980s, but I'd like to find the last year of manufacture. Internet searches turn up nothing useful except the "one year, very rare" story. FWIW, I know it went into the 1980s because I've found old magazine ads listing it then, but final year is inconclusive. Or if someone has Savage firearms catalogs from the 1980s, that could be helpful also. Thanks so much for any help.

Comments

• Options
    rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

For what it's worth, I did find online a page from a 1983 Savage catalog that has a photo and description of the Stevens Model 89, proving it lasted at least that long. So much for the "one year, very rare" description😁. Anyone have further information?

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭

Originally the Agawam Arms Model 68, from 1968 to 1971, and the only gun they made, 15000 produced.

Savage Arms bought them in 1971, and called it the Model 89. 1976 is what the Blue book says, then I've found years of production 1976-1989?

• Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

my Modern Guns Identification & Values 7th Revised Edition states they were produced from mid 1970's to mid 1980's estimated value: excellent: $60.00 very good: $45.00. cannot find a date on my book but it does list reference material with a 1983 date.