In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mannlicher Schoenauer

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭

My post-war Mannlicher Schoenauers are stamped on the left receiver rail: STEYR-DAIMLER-PUCH A.G., STEYR. I believe that, currently, Steyr still makes rifles, and Daimler is in the automotive business, but what happened with Puch A. G.?

While we are on the subject, my model 1908 is stamped: Oesterr, Waffenfabr.-Ges, Steyr. I think Waffenfabr. is "weapons factory" and Steyr is the town. The rest?

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

Steyr Is still the name of a manufacturer in Austria but also opened a center here in the U.S.

Oesterreich - a mountainous republic in central Europe; under the Habsburgs (1278-1918) Austria maintained control of the Holy Roman Empire and was a leader in European politics until the 19th century.

Steyr (German pronunciation: [ˈʃtaɪ̯ɐ] (

listen); Central BavarianSteia) is a statutory city, located in the Austrian federal state of Upper Austria. It is the administrative capital, though not part of Steyr-Land District. Steyr is Austria's 12th most populated town and the 3rd largest town in Upper Austria.

The city has a long history as a manufacturing center and has given its name to several manufacturers headquartered there, such as the former Steyr-Daimler-Puch conglomerate and its successor Steyr Motors.

Puch Motorcycles

Puch 220 Poster

History of the Marque

The Austrian firm of Puch built their first motorcycles in 1903, and by 1912, the year in which company founder Johann Puch retired, the factory was producing over 300 motorcycles and automobiles each year, along with some 16,000 bicycles. Business slowed considerably after the end of WWI, and in 1934 they merged with Steyr and Austro-Daimler to become Steyr-Daimler-Puch.

After WWII they built two-stroke offroad and road bikes of mainly 125, 175 and 250cc, and also a range of scooters and mopeds with smaller engines. Many of these were marketed in the United States by Sears Roebuck as Allstate machines.

Puch engines were fitted to many marques including the following:

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you. That's a lot more information than I thought I'd get.