In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sharps .45/70 repro. ?

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

I purchased this Sharps at a local gun show, seller said he 'thought' it was an early import. Other than the ser. # (7612), assy # on several parts (k15) and cal. there are no other markings (proofs, date code, ect) Any idea who made this or when? thanks

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭

I owned one of the Italian made repos years ago. There were also at least 2 US manufacturers. All were well marked.

My WAG, Italian made parts, probably sold by Dixie or some importer. Assembled by a knowledgeable and well equipped hobbyist.

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Just looking at it, Siles Import Co. comes to my mind. Proof marks will be on bottom of the barrel under the forearm, and maybe a date code.

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭

Agree, it was not likely to have gotten out of Italy without proof testing and marks.

Stock style looks odd, with that big flat and diamond inlay on the left side.

• TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭

Mike, sorry, I'm drawing a blank on the name, maybe that brain cell will fire up later. I'm about 90% sure what it is though.

JJ Mitchell had a couple of these. If I recall, it was an importer, that assembled barreled actions, they went belly up, and the remaining stock was sold off to a buyer that sold them as "kits", or just barreled receivers when they ran out of gun stocks. That remaining stock that was sold off, never got the company name stamped on them.

If it hasn't been fired, check the barrel/receiver index marks, and the headspace. Some of them were just stuck together and sold. If i can remember the dang name, I'll get back to you!

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

thanks Trap

as to " Proof marks will be on bottom of the barrel under the forearm, and maybe a date code."...........I'm familar with this and there are no proof marks or other marking other than the ser. #.It does appear to be a rather well made rifle. I'll be sure to check it over when I get it home next month.