In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A trip to the range.....Interesting sight, at least I thought it was interesting.........

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,635 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2021 in General Discussion

My second deer was finally finished and available in the late afternoon on Friday....so I figured I would make a day of it and headed over a couple of my old haunts and catch up with a couple friends. The 2nd to last stop was an indoor range I frequented often before all the Covid issues.

I shot half a box of .22 WRF and a box of 9mm...these were mostly odds and ends I had in a box from other range trips......a guy there had one of those RONI Stocks on a G5 Glock 17, He asked me if I wanted to shoot it so I put five rounds though it...5 shots through one hole at 15 yards...fun

The interesting thing was while I was there two guys were there blasting away a couple stalls over....as I walked back out I noticed each had two 9mm pistols with red dot sights on them, They also had two cases each of 9mm ammo...The range is a "no rapid fire" facility and these guys were mag dumping pretty fast. I figured something was up...

I asked the manager what was going on with these gentleman and he said this was the 2nd group in two days. He further reported the gentlemen were testing the dot sights and then taking them back to the facility they work at and check to see how they held up if they held zero....So 8K 9mm fired over a day and half...I asked where I signed up for the job........8K pieces of once fired brass !!

Stopped off and picked up my venison last.....Sticks, summer sausage and butterflied backstrap !!!!

IT was a good day....

Comments

• Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Yep. Sounds like that would be a fun job to have. Might I ask, why do you get the backstraps butterflied?

• Options

I can either pan fry or grill a few when I get a taste for them.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,422 ***** Forums Admin

Although it sounds cool at first, I think after a while it would become unfun. 35 years ago I knew a guy that worked for Ruger test firing guns. He did not work there for very long as it became incredibly mundane. No "target shooting" involved. Just put 50 rounds (I think that was the number) through the firearm as quickly as possible, then move on to the next one. All day long, day after day. It became a real drag.

• Options

I believe that would be true in this case....although they did have targets up, the goal was getting rounds through the firearm.....I think the worst part would be loading all those magazines !😳