In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Have any of you tried these heater meals?

GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

I have used these while hunting and to carry in the vehicle in the winter time.

I like them better than MREs

https://www.shop.com/Heater+Meals+Self+Heating+Meal+Mushroom+

Comments

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I have quite a few Lasagna etc. Heater meals in my SHTF stash from years ago. Same brand as your link. They were samples from that Co. looking to business with our very large Outdoor Adventure Equipment Store, back in the day.

Have not tried one.

• Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭

$$$!!!

Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options

I had, quite frankly forgotten about them, as they are not up in my SHTF room, but in a lower cabinet in the kitchen. Need to re-locate them.

Got maybe 6-8 of them, a couple different variety.

• Options

What is the shelf life???

Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,416 ******

How many meals do you get for 111 bucks? I looked around some on the site but all I came out with was a pic of one meal.

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭✭

looked like 12 each. Could not find the shelf life however.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,444 ✭✭✭✭

I believe the shelf life is 5 years. The pictures look good but how they taste isn't clear. Reviews are mixed. I guess it just depends on how hungry you are.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options

Same shelf life of modern MRE's...Most folks have been stocking VERY old MRE's...I guess if I was hungry enough I would eat a 10 year old MRE... 😝

Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

I remember being in the field and busting out my unmarked box of C-rats out of my pack. (You go through Supply and they hand you some. You get what you get.) When opening my can of Beef Patties. (😁) I noticed the date was 1958. I commented "Hey, this cow is older than I am." 🤔

Dates on most food is "Best used by," not "Eat this after this date and U'r gonna die," dates.

Certain exceptions of course - Dairy, fresh fish, thawed meat etc.

Times get really bad, I'd imagine you'd be really happy to have it.

There is a series on TV, (I've never seen it, but some on here have commented about it.) They open super old food and try it.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭

I happen to know the main guy in that "Eating History" series. He's a regular on one of the ration aficionados chat forum I visit. He and another friend of mine (Steve 1989) are two of the world's experts on historical military rations. I don't exactly collect rations/MREs - I buy and eat them. Had my first taste (pun intended) of milrats in Vietnam and have been interested in them ever since. (There's a YouTube series called "Tasting History with Max Miller" that is truly wonderful, but not the same show.)

MRE's are shelf stable but don't last as long as dehydrated foods like those put out by Mountain House. About five years is it for MREs to be sure of both quality and palatability. I would use them as long-term emergency food for that reason. It'd be the schits (pun again) if you depended on food that turned out to be inedible. For true long-term food storage, go with dehydrated stuff.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******

I have not tried them. Hope this helps.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain