In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bought a new Washer

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

For Mom. Holy cow I haven't priced any for a long time. Got it at Lowes being delivered on Friday.

Comments

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck. Most new appliance's have a projected lifespan of 4 to 5 years.

Busted the bank and bought Speed Queens, both a washer and dryer.

Same for a freezer, tired of loosing all the good vittles. Really broke the bank with a 48 inch upright TRUE freezer.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭✭

Our old washer started walking across the floor on spin cycle.I did some research and the Speed Queen commercials won,plus I spoke with a couple of owners and they were happy with them.None of the appliance dealers locally had any in stock and with covid they had no idea when new ones would arrive.I bought a GE commercial set that were the same price as the Speed Queen.Sticker shock? They cost about 300 bucks more than the first used Corvette I ever bought.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,444 ✭✭✭✭

What's her name and does she have a sister? My last washer expired.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options

Her new washer is from new Zealand and around 45. Mom doesn't do laundry any longer.

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭

Luckily we bought our Maytag washer and dryer before Whirlpool bought Maytag out in 2006. It appears they'll still be in good shape for the estate sale when I'm gone.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

OK, what really pizzes me off is the load sensor that determines the amount of water. They're telling us that either we're too stupid or too untrustworthy to set the correct water level. These new washers use more electricity & take longer to do a load of laundry. AND, it probably uses the same amount of water as you have to do a double rinse. There, I feel better now.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,426 ******

We have a Maytag front loader that came with our new house. My wife hates the front loader because of some back problems. I told her to just be patient and when it breaks down shortly, she can pick out a nice top loader.

I spent 3 nights on the couch after that conversation! 😑

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Just a hint:

On any of the cloths washers, especially the newer electronic type if they go to acting weird or not completing the wash cycles FIRST: check the screens in the hose ends and also the hose fitting on the back of the washer. If the screens get restricted the electronic washers do all kinds of weird stuff.

If you really want to exercise your brain, download or get a service manual for your washer or electronic appliance and try pulling up the error codes that it has stored. It's trying to tell you what is making it sick. Be careful or you will get sicker than the appliance when pulling up the flashing lights flashing error codes and using the lights cross reference error codes charts.

You have to be the next thing to a rocket scientist just to try and determine the launch sequence. (and I'm a electronic tech and electrician and I hate them type appliances)

I've had old manual washing machines least me several years, but the new ones are not made for the long haul. They are going green and the green is coming out of your pocket book.

AND about them water level sensors. On some washers that portion/part is the main brain and prone to failure and costs almost half as much as a new washer for the replacement part and it will have to be replaced first to determine if the machine has any other problems. (and the sensors electronic brain usually fails within 3 days after the warranty expires and makes one think that it's factory programmed for such)

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a new washing machine this afternoon. Grouch Attack picked it out and that's the end of the story.

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭

Yep I used to buy the cheapest units for a couple hundred bucks and run them 8-10 years, now they don't offer anything like that. When I worked for a appliance sales place the guy I worked for said each button was an extra 50 bucks!

The old Roper and other off brand stuff used to last forever, I've seen people drop a fortune on high tech digital stuff that needs service once a year!

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Our Maytag has lasted 17 yrs and still running strong . Has a ton of new fangled items. I did install a surge protector..

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭

My washer & dryer are both huge.

Having 3 boys - volume is the name of the game when it comes to laundry.

• Options

I grew up with a mom using a ringer washer. Monday was wash day. If you didn't have your dirties in the hamper Sunday night you would stink the next week!

I would bet my Mrs. does at least one load every single day. Just for the two of us.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

@Brookwood, buy her a pair of laundry pedestals to raise the machines up. Save both your backs.

• Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭

Still using the Kenmore Washer and Dyer set mom gave me when she moved.

That was 20 years ago and they were 6-8 years old at that time.

Only minor a few minor repairs in the last few years.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

Those old Maytags last forever. I remember a local business let one run around the clock to see how long it would last as people taking bets on it. It ran 7 years non stop 24 hrs a day. It sat in their front window and every time I passed their business you could see it running. When they started making them south of the border pure junk.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭

The new washer is replacing a Maytag that's only 7-8 years old. They don't seem to last long around here even though there's only 2 in the house now and I don't get into nearly as much dirt/grease as I used to. When the kids lived at home, we had 2 washers-one for "good clothes" and one for farm clothes. The dirt, grease, and grit that was in the farm clothes just seems to eat up a washer.

• Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭

I just hope it wasn't a Kenmore without the impeller. We bought one a couple of years back and it's a piece of crap.

• Options

When I lived close to town there was a laundromat 1\2 a mile away that we used for the real dirty stuff along with rugs and my rag collection. It saved on the home appliances.

• Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭✭

Must be a Fisher & Paykel?

we bought our Fisher & Paykel washer and dryer 10 years ago, and impressed with both.

The washers spin cycle is amazing, clothes come out nearly dry.

downiside is the dryer is a top load, some inconvenience for short wife with bad back when I'm not around.

Mule