In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Where do I start in pricing?

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭

So I'm thinking of selling my 375 ruger, and accessories related to it, but not sure where to begin in pricing. The following is what I have:

Ruger 77 in 375 ruger in a McMillan M40A-1 HTG stock in molded in GAP camo. Stock has been pillar bedded and glass bedded up to about 3" in front of recoil lug. The rifle is flawless, probably a 9 out of 10. I have polished and did minor filing on the trigger, and it is much improved, breaking at about 3 1/4 lbs. I have 2 scopes for it. Redfield revolution in 3-9 accurange is currently mounted and sighted in, and also have a Weaver Super Slam dangerous game scope in 1.5-6 with the no 6 reticle, I believe it's called. Scopes are also in like new condition, and function very well.

RCBS 3 die set. Full, neck, and seater die.

150-200 pieces of brass, but not sure on exact count.

I know I have 4 boxes of sierra, 250 gr gamekings, 2 boxes of Nosler, 260 gr accubond. Maybe a hundred or so, 265 gr cast bullets, and probably some other random bullets.

Any advice on a starting point, or what you think this package would value out at would be appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

start a 2 cents and the market will decide

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Hmmm, that's a tough call. With the ammo shortage, I would sell the ammo and brass with the gun. As for the scopes, I'm not sure though. They're not real high end scopes, but not junk either, so it's hard to say if they will help the gun out, or whether you just end up basically giving them away with the gun. I would probably keep the scopes, and sell them separately though. A 2 week auction, starting and stopping on a Sunday, with a $0 start seems to be doing good...GLWS.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,380 ***** Forums Admin

First a question, then some opinion.

Are you already an established buyer/seller with multiple A+ feedbacks on the auction?

If it was me, here are some things I would consider:

You may take a hit on the price selling something expensive like your firearm, if you are not already a well established auction member.

Noting the above, you may consider having Locust Fork, or Ricci Wright sell your firearm on consignment. Both do a wonderful job of showcasing their auctions, and usually get top dollar + from their efforts.

If it was me, I would not sell all the stuff as a package. I think you will realize a considerable higher total piecing it out. While many buyers will want the rifle, they may not want all your extras. People are that way. They may not like the brand on ammo you have, they may already have a pet scope, or one picked out, and It isn't your brand. They may already have dies/brass, so they don't need more. So all the extras may take a big hit on price because a buyer has to take all that stuff just to get the rifle he wants.

I would break it all down separately.

Remove the scope from the rifle and sell those two separate of each other.

Sell the other scope in it's own auction.

Sell the boxes of bullets together but separately of other components.

Sell the loaded ammo one brand to an auction.

Sell the die set by itself.

Sell the brass in it's own auction.

Weather or not I sold the rifle myself or through consignment, I would sell all the other stuff myself.

As far as pricing, as mentioned already I would start auctions at a penny and let my great pictures/descriptions/auction titles sell the stuff.

My free opinion, and it's worth just that.

• Options
    hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭

toad67 and horse plains drifter, thanks for the advice. That's what I was looking for. My guess is that I'd take it in the shorts on the weaver scope. The redfield revolutions seem to be holding their value on Ebay. The dies,...well, who knows? I may do alright on the bullets, brass, I'd say 50/50 on the outcome.

As far as being an established seller, nope. I'm just a guy with perhaps, too many guns and to little sense. I'm thinking I want to sell it until I pick it up. Lol. This rifle with this McMillan stock is a dream. It points and fits just wonderfully, and shoots just as good. Guess I'll have to ponder the situation a little longer before deciding. Thanks again.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Generally I would agree 100% with HPD, however, with the current situation of basically no ammo or reloading components, people might not be as willing to buy something new if they can't even shoot it, unless they already have some stuff on hand.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,380 ***** Forums Admin

The ammo availably, or lack there of, is a valid point I never considered. Selling the ammo with the rifle seems like a good idea at this place in time.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Selling ammo separate would allow for folks interested in ammo only to bid on it and not the firearm. I would think the ammo would bring more money listed by itself.

Price, start with a bare minimum reserve and let her rip.

Accessories, same a chrome on a Harley, not much value. My 2 cents.