In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mail order Proof (P)

metalsmitty45metalsmitty45 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭

Lets talk about the mail order proof Winchester used on outside fitted barrels.

When winchester sold parts barrels were they all proof tested and marked with W/P then (P) ?

I've seen quite a few barrels with both markings on variety of models.

Comments

• Options
    1873man1873man Member Posts: 130 ✭✭

That is normally how I have seen them but I have seen one with just the (P) on the barrel.

Bob

NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭

The WP was applied to barrels after they were installed to a receiver, the Oval P was for mail order barrels. The ones with both stamps, were mail order barrels that were pulled from stock, and installed at the factory for a rifle sent back for a re-barrel.

The WP proof replaced the VP proof in May of 1905, the Oval P proof in 1908. Prior to that, it was OF for Outside Fitted.

• Options

Was there a source for this ? I thought the mail order proof was only stamped when a regular barrel was pulled at time of shipment.

So your saying they had pre marked mail order (P) barrels ?

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭

Where to start...

OK, to start this off, Winchester did not begin using the "P" in an oval "mail order" stamp until May 31st, 1913. Prior to that time, they stamped "O.F." (Outside Fitted) on the bottom of the barrel where it would be covered by the forend stock. From June 1913 through at least the late 1920s, I have not found any verifiable documentation in the Winchester records to support Winchester ever applying both the "P" and superposed "WP" proof marks on the same barrel. It is my belief that it was during the Great Depression that Winchester may have began using mail order parts to assemble a small number of gun, but there is No proof of that theory.

Whoever it was that stated that the "WP" proof replaced the "VP" proof mark is dead wrong, The "VP" (Violent Proof) marking is found on the bottom of the barrels for at least 20-years after Winchester instituted the use of the "WP" proof on the top of the barrel on July 17th, 1905.

I hope this helped clear the waters so to speak...

Bert H.

• Options

Thanks for the responses ,of interest this barrel above is an 1890 .22WRF

Marked underneath is OF over WRF and 1923 at chamber.