In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

Having been to African many times I cannot think of any reason to shoot a Twiga(Giraffe).

I am not an anti hunter or anything like a bunny huger but there are lots of other animals more challenging to hunt than a Giraffe.

Having said that I don't think people should get all bent out of shape and threaten this woman with violence for what she did. People are too uptight today.

RLTW

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

That would be one heck of a neck roast.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******

Hunting is fun. Anti-hunters can KMA.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭

Live and let live, if not poaching and done legally it is what it is. Personally I think it is a shame to blast a Giraffe for no particular reason other then just to say you killed one.

I stepped on some ants I'm sure some people love ants :)

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options

It sure would. I have eaten a lot of critters in Africa but never a Giraffe, heck I didn't even know people hunted them or that they were considered a game animal. I like Kudu the best and water buck was the worst tasting to me. I have not tried some of the real small animals like dik dik. Cape Buff wasn't too bad and Lion was down right tasty. Africans never eat a Croc or a snake.

RLTW

• Options
    edited February 2021
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,199 ******

To the best of my knowledge, these animals are carefully selected for harvest.

Old and past their prime.

The fees go to the area. The meat goes to the village. The herd number is balanced. The hunter gets their hunt.

To me, much ado about nothing.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

At a very long range... the height of the critter would be easily hit...on the drop table.

• Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Sam - agree on a couple points there.

I don’t think I could shoot a giraffe either. Sent my son out with a guide and a camera to get as close as possible for pictures. I’d be the same way with elephants.

Impala is pretty good though, but Kudu is better than any beef I’ve had, and Eland is a step above that!

And I’ve seen people there eat porcupine and happy to have it.

Not against someone shooting a giraffe, as mentioned, could be a situation with too many males in a herd. I’ve seen that with zebra where there were too many males and they spent all their time fighting about who was going to be able to breed, instead of breeding and not many babies. So the answer was to harvest some of the males as they would be culled if not hunted.

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭✭

Eff those idiots! They need to mind their own business. Bunch of whiny twerps.