In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭

Select? You got anything you wanna fess up to?

😋

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭

Thats one way! Don

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

That is Awesome Select. Well done Sir.

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭

I have industrial buildings that I own & manage myself. I have a pre-lease agreement that REALLY screens potential tenants that asks for a copy of their drivers liscense & the 1st months rent along with a with a 2 month security deposit. Learned way back you are better off to let them sit vacant then to lease to a marginal outfit and then try to evict at a later date.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

It is better to let them sit vacant till a decent tenant comes along. SC does not have a limit on security deposits. So..if a tenant has a bad background .. evictions.. credit problems... I treat them like a bank would treat them. They would get higher interest rates for bad credit. So their security deposit will be real high..higher than they would want to pay. If they do pay, I am covered for non payments.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭

I have a cousin ( hate to claim him ) refused to pay the rent this was at least 25 to 30 years ago . and bragged about it

the owner seen him leave one day and took the doors off the house my cousin was renting . of course the cops came informed the owner he was responsible for any thing that may have been taken during the time he had removed the doors allowing any one to enter . and to put the doors back on now !

I know my cousin eventually moved out but not sure what or how long it took to get rid of him . I never ask or followed up on it .

I know a t lot of great renters are out there my wife and I were in that group when 1st married as examples . but a lot of horror stories also from many renters , but like most the bad ones make the news .

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭

I had to go to court once to get a renter out. They lived in my home just north of Speedway, IN for about a year before things west south. I live about 25 miles away and when I went to visit I found that they had rented out the 2 car detached garage. They ran an extension cord from the house to the garage so there were lights and a TV. It took 2 months to get them out and they trashed the place. I would like to punch the one that told me being a landlord was easy money. 😫

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭

My first rental experience was the worst. My Aunt knew I was moving to upstate NY for a temporary situation and her son was being transferred to Chas for duty. She suggested I rent to him.

I did, left the utilities on in my name and charged him only the mortgage payment. He never paid, I was in NY struggling to pay rent up there and mortgage for the house he wasn't paying for. Finally I left the utilities turn off the power. My Aunt had a fit screaming that he had little kids etc. ect.

When I got back I went to the utility company and showed them I was out of town they let me pay the arrears in monthly payments and agreed to turn everything back on.

FAMILY UGH

My next tenant was an older fellow who paid every month ahead of time and even did some minor repairs and improvements, I would have kept him forever and just bought another house for me but he eventually decided to buy his own place.

It will be very interesting to see what happens when the rental eviction moratorium is lifted, wil tenants walk on 12K or more of rent and stiff the owners? Will Uncle Sam pony up to the landlords they damaged with this?

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

You brought up a very good subject...The moratorium... A word the Tenants take advantage of... Not paying... However.. in SC I found out quickly what it meant. So I have a Tenant last yr who I worked with to pay the rent. Both of them in the home had income but they wanted to pay me when they wanted to not at the first of the month. So it went on for two months getting their rent twice sometimes three times a month. Finally I had enough and told them to pay when it was due. The black man told me he could stay as long as he wanted without paying... moratorium.... I said Really? Well you are about to get educated. So his Wife meets me at the door of the rental.. they owed approx 400 bucks back rent... and she has a large and I mean large roll of money... She peels off 100 bucks and says.. here you go. I handed it back to her and said here you go. Good luck. Went to Magistrate to file and my process server got the eviction. I signed a paper about the Moratorium... Stating I did not rent to Federal Section 8 Low income housing. The eviction was served and they moved out the next day. Now the govt is paying all but normally 25-50 bucks a month of the Section 8 the Tenants must come up with rest of it. Moratorium ...not working in SC on normal rentals Wondering if Uncle Sam is paying the Section 8 monies to Landlords??

• Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭

Our local news ran a story about a local woman who had purchased a home & refurbished it so that she could rent it for additional income.

Shortly after she rented it out the Pandemic hit, and NY enacted their own variation of the rental eviction moratorium. Now she hasn't been paid rent for almost a year, can't evict, and is getting threatened by her bank that they may foreclose.

I wonder If the bank does foreclose, will they get stuck with the tenants?

Trinity +++

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

This world is upside down and inside out. Being responsible, paying your obligations and minding your own business is now called White Supremacist.