In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mediocre Frog

gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭

1959 Renault Dauphine ... looks like a lengthened VW Bug ! Better than my Citroen post. 😁

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******

Good for delivering the mail.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

When I was a kid those gave the VW Beetle a run for the money in sales around here but they were not very good cars.

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

That is my kind of car...........I love the look. Like a Kharman Ghia mixed with a bug.........stretched and made more tall.

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

I have had a few opportunities to buy Kharman Ghia's and always passed 'em up 'cause they needed too much TLC..........dang I wish I had one now.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Had a 69' Kharman Gia in HS. Loved that car. Had it pretty hot rodded. Loaned it to my Brother to go on a date. (We were dating Sisters.) Ran it off the road in the fog, in the Blue Ridge Mountains around Mountain City, TN. Hit a road sign. Split it in half up to the windshield.

Grrrr...............................

Still PO's me. Cant even touch one now for less than $5K needing restored/rebuilt. (I've looked.)

Like my Triumph TR6. Not gonna see one of those again either. Sigh..........................

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******

I have never understood the attraction the Kharman Ghia holds over some folks.

And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,672 ******

I had one of theses in high school. Fiat 600.

• Options
    50-70RB50-70RB Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

I think the wheely bar is a bit optimistic.......😜

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin
  • Options

Mr Perfect, the Kharman Ghia was a easily hot rodded VW, (I used to subscribe to Hot VW back in the day.) With a Porsche designed body. (The only VW to have that designation.) It was a Poor Man's 356.

If you've never owned one, or were a VW afficianado, (I was a VW afficianado, and have had a few.) you wouldn't understand.

Not a dig, just my humble opinion. Great little cars.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,390 ******

I had a 1971 VW 411 four door sedan along with a 1973 VW Super Beatle. I liked them both very much but witnessed a fatal accident involving a Beatle with a loss of 4 student passengers in my home town. Traded both shortly thereafter.

• Options

I will give you that Brookwood. The VW was a known Killer in what should have been survivable accidents. That whole thing about the engine in back and nothing but empty trunk in front of you. Test drove a VW Van, talk about being up front, and 1st at the Accident scene. 🤕

Did have a 61'Econoline Van before the 69'Ghia. Did not feel quite as vulnerable in it for some reason. Not sure why.

Uncle had a 411. I've had several models over the years. Squareback, Rabbit, etc.

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭✭

"Hit a road sign. Split it in half up to the windshield."

I guess they don't make road signs like the used too! LOL

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭

when I started high school a neighbor kid it was his senor year we had grown up together , any way I rode to HS with him he had a vauxall ? I am sure I am spelling it right looked like a mix of a old ford and a English compact car 4 door manual basic car if there ever was one . to say he got picked on was a understatement . this was about 1972 . and mussel cars were king .

but then one week end about 1/2 thru the year week end he had saved up some money brought home a 69 or 70 road runner air grabber hood 383 pistol grip 4 speed . we cruised into the school parking lot in style . he lapped it about three time showing off revving up the engine .

I spoke to him once many years ago he still had fond memories of the little black vauxall .

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Drivers Ed head Instructor was killed in a VW just past the HS on a 3 lane highway. He passed a vehicle and was hit head on with a Ready Mix Cement Truck.