In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Webley MK VI 455 Revolver

Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

I just found this * revolver in my underwear drawer. I have no idea how it got there but since it is here I would like some info. Is .455 a good bullet?? Will it work in a defense situation?? It says 6 tons on the side but it doesn't seem very heavy. It has all kinds of writing all over it and it say ENGLAND and 1917 so maybe it was there in 1917??

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭

Never heard about the Mercury forming oxides with the steel? Owned a number of the limeey handguns over the years, Webbleys, Enfields S & W's etc. Hope it doesn't come back to bite me.

Most of the W W I Webbleys, had their cylinders faced off in a lathe. To take 45 ACP in half moon clips. Because the original .455 ammo, was hard to get and expensive. If your's has a original cylinder and in factory original condition. It would be a pricy collectors item nowadays.

But since it's been in your underwear drawer for years. It's probably has been so contaminated, that your going to get the health department to declare it a hazmat situation. And bury it in some landfill, to keep humanity safe. From whatever has been growing in your underwear drawer.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭

Have a MK IV and a VI. Interesting rounds, but both are too expensive to shoot even in normal times.

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

Heavy REAL slow bullet. Depending on the loading, 212-330 ft pounds of energy. Some reading for you-

.455 Webley - Wikipedia

IF you can find it, very modest recoil.

6 tons referred to the pressure at which the gun was proof tested- 12,000 psi.

Or your last girlfriend. 😛

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

No wonder the gals on the beach follow you home.

• Options

Actually I picked it up yesterday from my gunsmith. The old thing is very clean with a perfect bore. And it is New Zealand marked. Mercury ??? I don't see any. I will look under the grips.

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

Has the cylinder been shaved for 45 ACP? You can tell if the numbers on the back of the cylinder are either missing or gone.

If it is in unmolested condition it will do well.

455 is a cool cartridge. The British even had a round for it called a "Manstopper", it was used to shoot the fuzzy wuzzys who broke the British Square.

RLTW

• Options

Nope, the cylinder has not been shaved. She is still a .455. The bore and cylinder holes, or charge holes, are mirror bright. It should bring good coin especially with the NZ marking. It must have been issued to some officer or REMF who never got in the mud.

• Options

Very cool

I always liked the period when the British fought the Mahdi.

General Gordon probably went down with his 455 in hand. There are several good movies about this time period; The 4 Feathers is one and Khartoum is another.

RLTW

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Since it has a "Mercury" problem, I am willing to take it off your hands (cheap) and will dispose of it properly. (Since we are Friends.) I would be willing to do that for you. Consider it a Favor. 😉

(Or) Was soreshoulder getting confused and still talking about fishing and people being run off due to high levels of Mercury? I'm getting really confused with his train of thought. 😂

• Options

Ken I think it may be a little big to shoot leaves with and the ammo is hard to find. I think Fiocchi and PP make some.

The Mercury they are talking about is the mecuric primers. There are also potassium chlorate primers that are corrosive. When they go off they deposit potassium chloride salts which are hygroscopic(They attract water).

Those guns are really nice, I have always liked them but missed out on getting one when they were cheap. It will go for over a grand easy.

RLTW

• Options

No Sam, you misunderstood. I was merely looking to do Ricci a solid, and dispose of a Hazmat item. As a favor, because we're friends. (Not like the Bromance you guys have going though.) 😂

Anything above .22lr is completely unnecessary for leaf popping. Besides, I've been told it is impossible. 🤔

• Options

I am man enough to tell I am going to leaf you a disagree🤣

RLTW

• Options

I disagree you back. 😬

• Options

This could get ugly.

RLTW

• Options
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

I have shot one of those before.. ammo for it..

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/892797875