In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The new Marine Corps rifle qualification is here

nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

Changes are coming to the annual rifle qualification, and they’re coming soon.

Marines will be shooting in more realistic scenarios, wearing combat gear, hitting moving targets and shooting drills in sequence if they want to qualify with their individual weapon, be that an M16, M4 or M27.

In a call with reporters, the heads of Marine Corps marksmanship training detailed the changes, which will start rolling out in the coming months.

But say goodbye to the 1900s-era rifle training that generations of Marines have slogged through two weeks every year. Because as of Oct. 1 every Marine will be doing their annual rifle qualification, as it is now known, under this new, more demanding system.

“We came up with a course of fire that gives time back to commanders,” said Col. Mark Liston, commanding officer, Weapons Training Battalion at Quantico, Virginia.

Enjoy!

Best.

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

C&P

These are the three drills, all of which begin at the 25 yard line.

• First is a “failure to stop.” That requires the Marine to fire two shots to the chest then one to the brain box at a 25 yard distance. If the Marine doesn’t do the drill correctly, he is unqualified for that portion. They’ll do this four times.

• Then the Marine does a 25 yard box drill. That’s similar to a failure to stop but involves two targets. The Marine fires two chest shots in the first target, two chest shots into the second then one head shot into the second followed by a final head shot into the first. They’ll do this four times.

• The third drill is beginning at the 25 yard line the Marine is told to “advance” and walks toward the target, firing the failure to stop drill while moving. They’ll do this twice.

The “destroys” are as follows:

• 25 yard line headshot, standing position. The Marine shoots this six times.

• 100 yard line moving targets that are exposed for eight seconds. The Marine fires two rounds on each of seven exposures standing or kneeling positions and may use barricades.

• 100 yard line controlled pair. Again, two rounds for eight seconds on stationary target seven times. The Marine can do standing or kneeling positions and may use barricades.

• 200 yard line movers, same scenario, exposure, rounds, position and iterations as 100-yard line.

• 200 yard line controlled pair. Same scenario, rounds, iterations and positions as 100-yard line pair, but 10 seconds exposure.

• 300 yard line controlled pair, Marine can choose standing, kneeling or prone positions and must run eight iterations, two rounds each for a 15-second exposure.

• 500 yard line allows the Marine to shoot standing or supported prone position for five rounds of eight iterations at 45 seconds.

That sounds a lot better than what they were doing on the KD range. I would throw in some unknown distance shooting from 200-450 meters and maybe a rattle battle style shoot at the end from 600-100 meters.

RLTW

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

That sounds pretty challenging Sam. Sounds like much better actual real World training.

I was kind of surprised how mundane and quite honestly "easy" M16 qual. was in the Army. I easily qualified "Expert" on the final range. (Best out of my Co. of 300.) 25 targets (?) Out to 400 yards, with random 2 sec. Pop ups. Yearly re-qual's, were not a problem to continue as "Expert," as well. I did however, have quite a bit of shooting experience prior to joining in Jan of 80'. That course would be much more challenging to accomplish and maintain an "Expert" status or qual.

Increased training is always a good thing, and will save lives do to increased proficiency. 👍

I still regret not staying in for my 20. One of Life's regrets.

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

We should have a GB get together and friendly competition to see who wins based on this criteria.

• Options
    edited February 2021

Pretty sure Sam06 would walk away with it.

You'd probably be my choice as Runner-Up Warbirds. 😉

• Options

That was my thinking. I'd give Sam06 the Walk Away advantage, due to real World experience and muscle memory. I'd give you the edge for handguns for the same reason.

"Seasoned Hunters," would have no advantage in that Rifle Qual. (IMHO) Military Members with a lot of shooting experience with that platform is what would count. It's all about repetition and muscle memory for that type of challenge. Being proficient with your weapon (accurate) would not hurt either.

Again, IMHO.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Where are you gonna find all those giant leaf targets??

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭

Well wonder how long it will last........some of the effeminates or wannabees will complain to their congressman as its too difficult and unfair.

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,362 ******

In the ARMY in 76, we qualified with the M16A1 during basic/AIT I was in one of the first OSUT classes at Ft Gordon, I guess it may have to do with your chosen MOS, I was signal corp, but in the following years total of 4 served we never had to qualify again, around my 3rd year in, I did volunteer to go to range and burn up a bunch of older M60 ammo which was fun for about the first hour or so, then became a real PITA... should have remembered to never volunteer...

• Options

Ricci, we are talking about M16/M4 Military Weapons Qual. Please try to keep up.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

M-1 at Ft. Knox in '63 for me. Ruger4me I also was Signal Corp (810 - draftsman). Were you ever at Ft. Monmouth?

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,362 ******

cbxjeff No sir, Ft Jackson, Ft Gordon, Ft Riley, Ft Ord, Then Last 18 Months in Germany. Was always assigned to a Signal Battalion which was part of an Infantry Brigade, 36C Telephone Lineman/Wire systems operator although in the 4 years, they changed the title/job description multiple times , basically we were cable dogs!

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

25yd... what handgun they using? Then on to the rifle