In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

That was scary

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭

Last night I wasn't sleeping well and the wife went in the hallway and turned on the light which didn't help but when I found out why I didn't sleep the rest of the night.

She heard the breaker box arcing and sure enough I saw fizzing behind one of the breakers. We turned off the breaker to the heater, the panel is old and I've had trouble with sizziling before and the guy just replaced the breaker.

Called electrician explained emergent need and he showed up and replaced the whole panel for us for 750.

Considering the cost of the breakers and panel box along with GFI and Arc flash breakers and about three and a half hours labor I'm really happy.

Now maybe I can sleep soundly tonight, God leads us to some good people.

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

That is a close call for sure.

RLTW

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,390 ******

👍️ Glad you got your major electrical problem fixed mogley! Around here, getting an electrician is very hard to do unless you are doing new construction. I live in an Amish area and there are not too many Amish electricians! 😂 Now that would be an oxymoron for sure!

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Came home one night (luckily just after dark) about 6-7 years ago. When putting the key in the front door, noticed an orange/white glow about 4' to my left.

Turns out the ground in my panel had gone bad, and the electricity was seeking a ground and connected outside where the metal Pipe was mounted to the house. It was just about at the point of bursting in to flames. If It had not been dark, I never would have seen it.

Went inside, killed the main breaker, called the Electric Co. for an Emergency. 20 minutes later two guys were there, and we were trying to figure out WTH? They spent quite a while with me, after determining it was not a problem with the outside supply, (their responsibility.) We isolated it to a faulty ground. They were super helpfull. Had an electrician over the next day to re-establish a proper ground.

I would wager 1/2 later, it would have been in flames. Dodged a major bullet that day. God was watching out for me.

Glad he was watching out for you and your Wife also Bill.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,672 ******

Mogley, that was a good price on the panel.

The old panel, was it a Murray brand?

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

lucky the house catch fire. For a change out that is a very fair price.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******

Wow. You got a real bargain there. Glad your home is safe too.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    ridgleyartridgleyart Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is a close call, glad you caught it in time.

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,362 ******

glad you are safe and didn't get taken by the electrician.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******

Glad you caught it and got it fixed. That price is un heard of, be 10 times that here.