In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Armenia

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

I have never been there but I have wanted to visit.

Well they lost a war with Azerbaijan and now the Army has started a coup against the Prime Minister.

Its still a very volatile area and situation.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56194421

RLTW

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

It's a nice country with lots of interesting history. The Armenian people are friendly by nature, and because there are more Armenians living in the United States then in Armenia itself, Americans are welcome.

Armenia, a wonderful surprise — GunBroker.com Member Forums

I wouldn't mind going back, especially since there is no longer a visa requirement, but unless you're flying into the capital, Armenia is a tough place to get to.

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

I was in Georgia for about 5 months before they had their little war with Russia over South Ossentia and I want to visit Armenia. We had to leave early because of the fighting. Georgia was a nice place, the people were very friendly and the food was good.

RLTW

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited February 2021

Unless you fly into the country, entering Armenia from Georgia is the the only viable route. The Turkish-Armenian border has been closed for decades, along with the Armenian border with Azerbaijan. Armenia's other land border is with Iran; a nation which is not exactly welcoming to Americans. Skip that option!

It takes a bit of leg work to get to Armenia, but it is worth making the trip, IMO.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Georgia has some really good BBQ, I've been told. 😉

I mean it's not up to NC vinegar based style, but still...................

Someone mentioned there is a really good Hot Dog place somewhere in Armenia recently. Is that near Atlanta?

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,672 ******

Yes, it’s on Peachtree something or other.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭

Like Mark, I have been there. I was looking at mountain vipers, but also took in the art museum, and some really good places to eat. Shopping for groceries was fun. We could read nothing, but went with "that looks interesting, Let's try it." Also the coffee was good as was birding. Our host was the head of the national game and fish dept, so we had an apartment in just about downtown Yerevan. We learned that more Armenians now live in California than in Armenia. On TV we learned that all the ones in Califorinia are gangsters.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,389 ******

My first rented apartment in the Detroit suburbs back in the early 70's had an Armenian landlady.

She was very nice to talk to and deal with but she was a real busy body! She shared all she knew with me about every tenant in our building! One Sunday morning my wife left and took the car to go grocery shopping. I stayed home and planned to sleep in that day. Had the door locked and woke up to find the landlady sneaking through the 2nd bedroom dresser drawers!! 😯

• Options
    slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Hmmm, there are countries that have and close these border things? I accidentally watched an eyeblink of CNN (almost barfing) and they seemed to think that word has no meaning.😉 If too political, please move with my apologies.

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭

I live in Georgia and dang if I can find a way to get to Armenia from here just south of Atlanta. It must be near the Alabama line is all I can figure.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******

With all the nonsense about an attempted coup here in the US back in January, it gives me pause when I see similar headlines from other countries. I hope their media has more integrity than ours.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭

I had an Armenian guy on my high school football team, named Steve Jamgochian. Their names usually end with an "ian."

I believe the Kardshaians are Armenian.

They were victims of the first great purge of the 20th century when Turkey killed hundreds of thousands of them.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,389 ******

My old landlady's last name was Warrick but she could have been married an American.