In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How do you build your auction descriptions?

KaizenKenKaizenKen Member Posts: 1

I’ve been working on a tool to easily create eye catching auction descriptions, and I came to the realization that I might be wasting my time. So, how do you go about making your auction descriptions? Do you manually edit an HTML template? Do you have a tool to help you? Are you interested in a tool that would fill in a template?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Ken, I'm glad that you are now checking with the end users to see what our needs are. Unlike an auction catalog, Gunbroker is an online auction venue that uses keywords in the title (& sometimes the subtitle) line to attract bidders; we have few visual cues until we click on a specific auction. This is likely a totally different paradigm than that you are used to. Large volume sellers sometimes use graphics on their selling pages, but graphics don't matter if you can't get someone to click on your page.

Once someone clicks on a seller's page, the photos posted are probably the most important graphic.

I have several "boiler plate" paragraphs on a Word document, & I C&P an appropriate paragraph when I am building a page to sell something. Everything else has to be customized for each item, if I don't have multiples of the item.

Neal

EDIT: I love paragraphs too, but the Gunbroker loader software combines everything in the description. If there's a way to defeat that, please let me know.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

IMO, a C&P title, and/or description is not as good as a hand written description of the listed item. GB allows you to type in the title description, as well as a description of the item up for auction, or sale. There is quite a bit of room for the title description, and you can add a sub title for a small fee. As for room in the description box, I don't think you could fill it up w/o driving away potential buyers with a bunch of BS, there is plenty of room. One thing that does drive me crazy though, are the sellers who waste the whole description about covering their *, with rules and regulations, but tell you to look at the pictures for a description of the item, with no description at all, or the ones who start out trying to sell their services before you get down to the item description.

• Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭

Pleas use Paragraphs.

It is so hard to read descriptions that run on for 10-20 lines. Some times I give up.

Some items one one run one line description of the Auction, give me more.

Place the Rules ad Reg below. the Description.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Take some really good clear pictures. When I see dark pictures that don't show much detail I get skeptical FAST.

Don't do a lot of puffing. (trying to put lipstick on a pig)

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Here, IMO, is how not to list a gun. Seller has a bunch of gibberish about this and that, no description at all about the gun or scope. Confusion, too much unnecessary verbiage, and only 4 pictures..Too bad too, I'm in the market for a Marlin 17 HMR...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/894726379

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭

Bottom line: GOOD photos and a short but detailed description, period. Keep on point and don't over elaborate as many do🤨