In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Where do I start

SheridanrifleSheridanrifle Member Posts: 1

I live in a small town close to Lake Ontario in NY and am interested in learning how to fly fish. Yes, the aspiration to be socially distanced standing in a river somewhere in Idaho or Montana is my newest aspiration. I just don’t know what are some of the entry level components to all this to get started. I have a very good fly fishing book I will peruse but recommendations would be appreciated. I returned to sport shooting in 2010 and am at a point that I can take on this graceful Sport of fly fishing. Thanks for any reasonable suggestions any one may have.

Comments

• chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭✭

I would start at a good fishing store and get a matching line and rod combo, and then they can probably guide to where you could get lessons. I have found that a good quality floating line will set you back around $80, and it must match the length and weight of your rod.

If you can, make plans to head west- The Henry's Fork of the Snake River is world class brown and rainbow trout fishing, and in absolutely stunning country.

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know a thing about fly fishing but before I spent a dime on equipment I would seek out someone to give me a lesson or two. Then you will be better equipped to buy the equipment you actually need. This holds true with shooting, or fishing, or tennis, or pretty much anything else.

• dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭✭

Orvis fly fishing lessons. Youtube then practice on the lawn.

• William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

That is a great answer.......

I bought a cheap one to learn on and moved on up from there....