In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

question about Dads Winchester 62 A

sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭

I have my Fathers Winchester 62 A #195287 . I m 60 and its been in our Family my entire life,, its the first gun I ever fired, He always said he bought it new in 1949 while in boot camp and mailed it to his mothers house when he shipped out to Korea,, anyway its marked "Winchester model 62" ,,, Not 62A .. Was it common for them not to get the A marking ??

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

The Blue Book says "Pre war model is 62,distinguishable by small forearm. The Model 62-A was introduced 1940 at approx. serial number 98,200 with minor changes." This does not agree with your serial number. It is possible an older frame was used, or, the -A was just omitted in error??

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭

Do the serial numbers match on the barrel assembly and the tang?

• Options
    gnprtsgnprts Member Posts: 345 ✭✭

The breech block lock (action slide lock) in the Winchester model 62 was changed and the A was added to the model number at that time.

• Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Trap,,yes its both sets of numbers match,, I understand it should be the "A" It has the long forearm and everything is correct except its not marked A,, I just had the question because someone I showed it too commented on it not being marked,. Its not a safe queen ,,it went through my Dad's coo n hunting stage and 3 older brothers before I was born 😁 .. That is not a dash after the 62,,just a ding,,

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭

Hopefully Bert will chime in here, because I'm no expert on the 62's. IIRC, Bert or someone he knows, was doing a survey on the 1890,1906, 62, and 62A. Ned Schwing's book covers a lot of info, but Winchester did a lot of confusing things between the two models, with some of the last made using Model 90 receivers.

What I'm about 80% sure on, if the serials match, and no A suffix, and the barrel stamp says 62, it's a 62. The 62 has a flat mainspring, the 62A has a coil mainspring. Then back to the big question, it says 62, and it's wearing a 62A forearm?

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Are you sure that the "ding" after the 62, isn't a mis stamped A? It sure looks level, centered and about the same depth as compared to the 62, just an observation. I'd get a magnifying glass out and look a little closer.

• Options
    metalsmitty45metalsmitty45 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭

Joe Salter has one listed almost mint real close to your serial .Yours is 1947 according to WRA collectors site.

Your barrel address markings are completely different.Those are dashes after the 62 and caliber markings.

I would say they used an old stock barrel .What does the WP proofs look like?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/893740201

• Options

Here is anouther real close serial and has same address marking only the 62A is there ,but notice the A is light .

Maybe they had a problem with the roll die around that time?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/887344557

• Options

Here you go serial #200,269 same year manufacture as yours.Exact same markings as your just model 62.

It's a roll die change /issue as early model 62 has completely different barrel address.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/892396241

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Along the same subject.

I have a win 94 30/30 that is Original and has pre64 and post 64 parts. sn# indicates made in 64-65

Stock is the 64 inletting.

• Options

There is a thread over on rimfire central ,same exact barrel address .Same serial range. Definatly not unique and perfectly legit.

The older actual model 62 rifle had a completely different barrel address than the OP's .

His barrel address is correct for serial range just missing the A .My 1955 rifle has same barrel address but it has the A.

This discussion has been closed.