In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

VAP

dfr43xdfr43x Member Posts: 1

Can anyone tell me the benefit's and draw backs of registering in the Voluntary Appeal File ?

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

What on earth is that?

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited March 2021

Anyone may apply for a VAF (Voluntary Appeals File), but it is designed for firearm purchasers who have been denied more than once or frequently experience delays in their transactions. This could be because of a past minor criminal charge or because a bad guy has the same name.

After a lengthy background check, and if you are not in fact prohibited from making firearms purchase, NICS will assign you a Unique Personal Identification Number (UPIN). For future purchases, you will provide that same PIN for your background check which (should) confirm your identity and eligibility to purchase firearms.

The process can take months and unless you are being routinely delayed or denied, it doesn't make much sense to go through the process. Although optional, adding your Social Security Number to the 4473 can clear up many identify errors.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******

Mark, you answered this question to me in email but I thought I might post the answer here for others. There apparently is no drawback to applying for the VAF.

But what information do they ask for? I understand it won't speed a normal BG check along but it will speed up the process if you frequently get delayed, which is nice.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain