In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Experts...Model 97 Question

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******

Fella says the forend isn't original, like that's a big deal. Is it a replacement, or is he trying to knock the value down?

Auction link is here: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/893623914

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Looks to be a Police Department shotgun, forearm probably needed replacement.

The one on the 97 is a factory Forearm is from the 1940's to 1950's.

Should have a Corn Cob, smaller diameter and grooves all the way around.

I have a 1897 from 1956, it has the later flat bottom as the early 98 shotgun shown.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭

I have one, standard model, that was produced in the first couple of years and it does have the very small corncob forend

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭

Cant say for certain it looks like a model 97 hand guard, but it looks exactly the same as my model 12s.

• Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

i concur with their answers, you have a model 12 forearm. replacements can be found from time to time on fleabay from

$40 to $90(new old stock). nothing here or at numrich (as a stock set $125.00). a factory riot gun barrel will be 20" long to

prove it left the factory that way, probably look at the end of the barrel and see if it's been crowned (rounded) or flat from

a hacksaw trim. you can ask whatever you want for value and see if you get any bites, good luck with your sale.