In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tell me about these BLUE bullets

trawlertrawler Member Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

These are from an estate sale. 9 boxes of loaded ammo and 11 boxes of empty brass. 358 Winchester caliber.

I've never seen blue bullets before. What can you tell me about them? Do you think 45 grains of Accurate powder should be safe with a 225 grain blue bullet or should I pull the bullets and start over. My rifle is a Ruger Model 77. Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭

powder coated lead pics would help

• Options
    trawlertrawler Member Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

Forgot the picture. It's hell getting old.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭

did you know the fellow who reloaded them?? I just won't shoot another persons reloads, but you may do as you please, even though the recipe may be right fot the given weight and powder charge do you really know THAT is what is in them?

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like they are Barnes XLC bullets. The coating was supposed to reduce fouling and lower pressures. They've been discontinued for some time.

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭

According to the Accurate web site, "45 grains of AA 2520, would be a safe load for a 225 grain bullet". BUT as a previous poster noted. You don't know if the guy who loaded them, was non compos mentis or plastered to the gills when he loaded them. Real shame, 358 brass and bullets are expensive and hard to come by.

I would pull them, and reload them with a lighter powder charge, for general shooting purposes. Or just sell the bullets. Those Barnes copper XLC bullets, are very spendy and hard to come by. If you can pull them with screwing up their cosmetics. 180 of them would be worth quite a bit of money on the auction.

• Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭

personally I reload all my own rifle and pistol loads and trust reloading but for someone elses reloads I shake them to be sure I hear the powder move a little inside cases as I don't prefer compressed loads along with inspecting outside appearances, these look well made on the outside so if I heard some powder movement inside I me not you would probably try to fire one but that is me saying this for me not you so and only you can decide what you want to chance.

other option is to pull bullets and reload them yourself or sell components.

just because you could doesn't mean you should