In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bystander responsibility

JohnERebJohnEReb Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/cm/georgetown-law-fires-professor-she-201245025.html

We are all familiar with someone being fired or disciplined for making remarks on racial issues. Now it appears if you were a bystander to the remarks you can face consequences. From the article.

"Though [Professor] Batson says little in the video and is not heard making disparaging comments of his own, he also does not appear to challenge Sellers.....Batson is on administrative leave while the Office of Diversity, Equity and Affirmative Action investigates."

A letter from the Office of Diversity, Equity and Affirmative Action says:

"This is by no means the end of our work to address the many structural issues of racism reflected in this painful incident, including explicit and implicit bias, bystander responsibility, and the need for more comprehensive anti-bias training."

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

lawyers eating their own?? AWWWWWWW

If I was king every law school in the world would close for at least the next 15 years.

• Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

They are cracking down down on crowd Psychology attributes with edicts now but only when it suits their ideas of what is correct. In other words brain washing your mind,to accept what they think is the new normal. If in a group you must group think only to company polices and if you stand by passively when others are breaking that edict you are called out later so you can go back and tell the rest of employees there is a new sheriff in town.

serf

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I shake my head when I see this happening in America. I watched several Russian series about WWII on Amazon Prime. They are really quite good, well worth the effort to see them.

What becomes apparent now is the Soviet Commies had an Office of Diversity, Equity and Affirmative Action investigates. It was called a Military Tribunal where guilt was predetermined, you were guilty or you would not be there, you would already be dead. The tribunal was to see if you got shot at first light, right now or sent to Gulag for two years then shot.

The bystanders are toast.

Anyone that sends their children to the bastions of Marxism commonly called Universities is helping to destroy our nation.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭

The sad part is that nowhere in the article you linked to did it say that the fired professors comments were inaccurate. If they were accurate and the bottom level students were black there was nothing for the suspended professor to refute. Sometimes truth hurts and we should not bend over backwards to lower standards for the majority, (black or white), that actually are capable to advance the goals of the small number of incompetent students. College degrees should not be equated to participation trophies. Bob

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Screw the bystander responsibility stuff.

This shows you cannot have an honest discussion about the shortcomings of one subset of students.

If there is a problem with either preparation or performance, it cannot be corrected unless identified and discussed.

What do we need to do to prepare students better or to screen students better? If the problem is real, is it a result of race bias in university acceptance criteria? If the problem is real, do we fix it, or do we leave these students farther and farther behind as we hide their inadequacies in the name of equity?

It is a disservice to people to advance them too far above their skill level. The normal reaction is discouragement and eventually failure and/of quitting.

The idiot dean, however, seems to 100% discount the underlying problem in the interest of pacifying some snowflake who may have gotten butt-hurt.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

Yep,The organized will use the disorganized,always will and always has .That's why having and making artificial brains with new technology to help progress in human endeavors is well full of too many avenues of conceptions. Equality and Equity is one those battles going in governments right now.

I need more equity when my organizing skills fall short and then have some one else do the work for me and not have to pay for it! I guess that parable about giving out shekels and then burying it does not apply anymore.

serf

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Don, I am so glad I no longer own a successful business. I would be sued daily because I simply can't deal with morons and crybabies. The world is cruel, you will hear things you prefer not to but FREEDOM demands you hear them! Then, you can argue your point to counter it, or not and decide to remain silent...

We are DOOMED at an accelerating pace beyond our mortal comprehension.

"They" will come after us, two years, five years or twenty years from now, as in 1933-1945 they will come after our blood with vengeance.

• Options
    Floyd621Floyd621 Member Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭✭

The sad part is you can see it coming... but they have to get rid of the guns first...and they will..

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭

"If I was king every law school in the world would close for at least the next 15 years."

That would be a starting place. Far too many lawyers in this country right now. Everything is a court case or threat of being sued. Used to be 2 or 3 lawyers in an entire county but now there's 2 or 3 PAGES of lawyer phone numbers in every phone book.