In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W Revolver Gurus.....686-1 question

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

A buddy has a S&W 686-1, 2.5" barrel, wood combat grips....Excellent condition. He had a gunsmith rework it to double action only and bobbed the hammer. Smooth as silk trigger.....Now 20 years later he wants to return it to it's original condition.

They are several generations beyond from when this model was produced....will he need to find specific internal replacement parts from a 686-1 ??

Before we take it apart, just looking for a place to start.....Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Comments

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

The one issue might be that you will need to get a hammer with a firing pin on it, rather than the flat nosed hammer that hits the bushing on the newer models. According to the number 4 SCoSW, it says that the hammer nose bushing stuff started with the -2 versions, and the 2 1/2" barrels came out in 1990 with the -3 variations. Interesting that you have a -1, with a 2 1/2" barrel on it. Not sure if the 7 shot versions would have certain internal parts that would apply to you.

• dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭✭

The parts will be 686-1 the hammer nose was changed on the 686-2.

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Yes, but.....

the -0 &-1 686 & 681 were recalled by S&W, & stamped M above the model #. I don't think that a lot of gunsmiths know what parts were/should be changed.

Neal

• pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Here's a place to start but they don't have a hammer now but I would ask them.

Smith & Wesson Model 686-1 Revolver Parts | Gun Parts Corp.

just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

The 585, 586, 686 had a slightly different hammer/trigger geometry than the K frame pistols (yes, I believe revolvers are pistols) so the K parts won't help you. Brownell's doesn't list 686 hammers any more. If the smith who neutered it just took the fly and spring off the hammer then you may be able to have another smith fit a K or N frame fly to your hammer to restore DA capability.

• 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Just reread posting, sorry, I was going the wrong direction. If the smith cut the SA step off the hammer it will have to be replaced, but the existing hammer will have the firing pin and spring if a stripped hammer can be found.

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

Original 681s (no M) tended to have the cylinder lock up when firing full power .357s. There was a recall to fix it and an M was added to signify it had been fixed. As I recall, the basic problem had to do with the firing pin hole size.

• William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks all for the assistance.....shopping for the proper hammer.