In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cleaning gritty ammo

I got some loaded 338Win Mag ammo in a friends things when he passed away and he used to shoot match in the guard and this ammo was loaded for him . I think that the gritty feeling might be case lube from the old days of using the roll on the pad type of lube. I dont have a 338 but i would like to clean them up anyway and i tried to run them thru the case cleaner but the media leaves a red dust all over them and they still feel gritty. So what would be a good way to clean these without doing each one by hand with steel wool ? I have about 8 boxes so its a lot of hand rubbing. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,382 ***** Forums Admin

I would use a rag/paper towel dampened with brake clean. That will quickly cut any wax or dried grease buildup. So yeah you will need to do them one-at-a-time, but it will go fast, as there there will be no "scrubbing" needed. I know of no way to do them en masse. I would do this out in the shop, or outside. You might also try rubbing alcohol, but it will be a slower process, and require more wiping time.

• Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Thanks i will give that a try, i have a spray can of brake cleaner.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if I'd spray them, maybe just use it on a rag as HPD mentioned. I doubt it, but it might penetrate the primer and cause issues.

• Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

FYI, running loaded ammo in a tumbler is risky as the deterrents on the powder can wear off resulting in a hot load (this advice is from ammo manufacturers).

• Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭

+1...Same as leaving loaded ammo in a glove box and or your vehicle for prolonged periods of time...

Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I use a rag dampened with Acetone or lacquer thinner to clean case lube off. It is not a bad idea to wear latex gloves while doing this to keep the stuff from getting into your skin. I buy it by the gallon for this purpose aand have cleaned thousands of cases over the past 40 years with it. It works great. Turn on your favorite movie and sit in your easy chair wiping them down.

• Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

They are done, thanks guys the brake cleaner worked great but i will try the acetone if ever needed again.

• Options
    mike circlemike circle Member Posts: 11

Most ammo mfgs. tumble clean there ammo, I have done it for 30 years or better, works well, use plain corn cob only.

• Options
    mike circlemike circle Member Posts: 11