In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How Much Does Original Box/Paperwork/Receipts Add To Gun Value?

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭

I'm helping a neighbor value her late husband's firearms collection. I'll use my Blue Book and past Gunbroker auctions as a guide. However, I'd like some opinions on how much value to add if the firearm comes with the original box, paperwork, and purchase receipt. Assuming the firearm has some collector value, which many of her guns do, I've been told to add somewhere between 5%-10%. I've also been told a good rule of thumb for Pre-64 Winchesters, e.g., Models 70, 94, 73, etc., is $500 for all the original bits.

The collection includes many original S&W revolvers, Winchester commemoratives, a few Pre-64 70s, and several Winchester lever guns from the late 1800s. A local dealer is offering to buy the whole collection for about $750/gun, which I think is a joke. So, I told her I'd give each of the 42 firearms a good look, just to handle them, appreciate their qualities, and to help her get a fair deal.

So, again, I'd appreciate your thoughts on how much value to add for original boxes, paperwork, and receipts. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

She would be well advised to get those guns to Kasey if she actually wants to sell them. Kasey is an expert at what she does and will get her top dollar. Guns are too complicated, especially a large and valuable collection to not get an expert involved. It's like letting the three whisker kid at the auto parts store hook up a code reader and diagnose your vehicle, only costlier.

• Options
    Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭

I agree. The dealer claims to be an expert, but I've done a little digging and his reputation on Gunbroker is less than stellar. I'm going to give the widow my opinion on each firearm and then hook her up with someone more reputable to move the collection.

So, who is Kasey?

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,389 ***** Forums Admin
    edited March 2021
  • Options
    edited March 2021

For Sale – Buy at GunBroker.com

Locust Fork

She is from Alabama but she has shuttles running all over the country picking up guns. I talked to her yesterday and she is busy but that is because she does a great job. She is honest and gets great prices for what she sells. Hit the above FOR SALE link and you can see some of her work.

By the way, I have no idea what the guns are worth but remember, a dealer investing his cash in a collection has to leave some room for a decent profit, especially if the plan is to park them in a shop where they may take months or even years to sell. Good luck.

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

The easiest and fastest way to sell a collection like that is to a dealer. You could probably negotiate a better lump-sum price better than the $750 average. Selling individually can be tedious: some sell fast and others don't. The widow has to make that decision. 60% of market value would probably be the best dealer offer.

Another option is consignment to an auction house, particularly one that specializes in firearms. Auctions usually bring market value prices, less their commission of course.

From what I have seen in my club, widows usually opt for a lump-sum buyout, unless they have someone who can handle selling for them.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

You will be very luck to get 50 to 60% of the current value from a dealer.

Box and paperwork value, depends on the firearm.

I would think 100.00 for a gun 40 to 50 years old, but some of the more desirable ones could increase the value by 500.00 plus.

A fairly rare commemorative gun without the box might almost be a shooter.

I do have a weakness for the "box"original to the firearm.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I don''t think I understand your point, my bad. That is why you hire a professional like Kasey, or if more accessible some one like Ricci to get top dollar in these times of insanity. Nobody and I mean nobody knows what the current panic market will bear. I buy from both sellers and they are the best bet to get maximum value for each individual piece. I may be willing to bid $500 for an item. Another interested buyer may think it is worth $1,000. Let the market decide. A flat offer for an entire collection is going to assure a less than true value outcome.

• Options

I remember boxes selling for hundreds of dollars. But that is when someone has a collectable gun but no box.

• Options
    tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 271 ✭✭

One of the greatest long time "ask the experts" posters had the user name Perry Shooter.Not only was he an expert on Colt 1911's but had participated at Camp Perry for many decades and had an extensive collection.He chose Kasey to sell his guns .

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭

I also choice Kasey to sell my guns. Still in the process. Roughly I receive 85% of the selling price. The 15% differential is for her sending someone up here to pick them up, her comm. and GB'S comm. No other way to go in may estimation.

This discussion has been closed.