In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Face to face transaction question

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭

Indiana allows this type of sale. My question is there a problem if I either sell it to or ask a FFL to transfer it?

It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭

Montana allows F2F sales. the only thing a seller needs to be concerned about is that the buyer is a resident of the state with you. a bill of sale is suggested, with an accompanying form of state issued ID, copies for both parties. NOT REQUIRED but suggested. seller might want to make sure buyer is not prohibited from owning, possessing , or generally having said weapon .if you as a seller has any qualms about the legality of this, nothing precludes you from using an FFL to conduct the sale and transfer.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,703 ******

I agree with you guys, but no states “allow” face to face sales. However, many states, including mine, deny you the right to conduct business as you see fit.

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,609 ✭✭✭✭

we are " allowed "( oh thank you for allowing a right )

to do f to f sales all we are "required" is to see a ID that they live in our state

I have heard some want to copy info from a photo ID to cover there butt I have nevber been ask other than to see I am in the same state as they are

. my guess few people will just give that info to any one even just for there records there is always another gun with out the "JR government officer " wanting your info for there files

I have not been to a GS in several years but when I was going such private sales and there were always a lot of tables set up selling off personal collections and walking around the shows seemed to always bring more money over the same gun at a dealer , most feel its not the government business what they buy or sell

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,411 ***** Forums Admin

I'm not Jim, but he is saying it is a constitutional RIGHT to buy/sell property. States that make one jump through a bunch of government hoops to sell/buy property are doing so in violation of the constitution. I agree with Jim.

• Options
    randomnutrandomnut Member Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Obviously, it wouldn't be a problem except the buyer may decide he no longer wants it.

Here in Arkansas, if you have no reason to believe the buyer is a felon, under age, or a non resident, you're good.

Several sellers may have asked for a copy of my drivers license. I refrain from buying from them.

• Options
    ridgleyartridgleyart Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭

FTF trades/sales of long guns are legal here in Missouri, they would prefer that you use an FFL for handgun transfers, but nobody does.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

It is your option to request it. If the buyer refuses then they may and I say may have a reason they are buying privately. If they have a conceal carry permit .. they are most likely good to go without a background check. In this day of shootings .. protect yourself on a sale.

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭

A concept missed by many, jimdeere, but incredibly important.

States have power granted to them by the people to deny things and actions to people, not to permit things.

Thank you.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

The seller is being cautious .... what happens if the FFL says no..in which they can.

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭

^

Agree.

I've never understood why some so willingly accept that the government against which such arms would be used if necessary, which is in the final analysis the true reason for the 2nd Amendment, ought to have the authority and power to determine who may possess those arms and what type are held.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭

So, just hypothetically, you understand, what if you met on a parking lot somewhere far, far from possible cameras and did the exchange, and assuming the other person was not ATF, who would know, who would complain and who would be the wiser? Not that I am advocating anything illegal. In my state I can sell a box of ammo, or give it to a friend without any state involvement. Unlike firearms.😡

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭

Yes guys, I guess I wasn't real clear. I am aware of face/face transactions here can only be done with an IN resident. I always ask for an IN drivers license though I make no notes. My thought is if I take one of these pieces to an FFL and he would happen to check the S/N it would come back to a previous owner that isn't jeff. Would the FFL just refuse to deal with me?

Thanks again guys,

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭

from what i understand all the FFL could find out is if the firearm was listed on some police list as having been stolen, don't believe a FFL can find out who owned the firearm before

• Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

if a person doesn't want you to have their info and IF you feel the need for some , just make a note of their license plate number if you can

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

I don't feel the need to let anyone know about my transactions of selling or buying property unless I have to, to use it like a car.

RLTW

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭

In almost every case, the FFL does not have the ability to check for a reported stolen gun. They have no way of checking who owned the gun in the past. What they CAN do is determine if the BUYER is a prohibited person.