In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Very low serial number

.22 L.R.22 L.R Member Posts: 189 ✭✭

If an individual has a firearm that is quite collectible in of itself how much extra value is there in having it with a "very low 2 digit serial number". The firearm is like new with perhaps 20 rounds fired through it plus it has its original serial numbered box and papers. The firearm is from the 1960's

Comments

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Would add a considerable amount if I collected that particular firearm.

Knowing what it was would help.

• Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Usually the finer the condition and any extra original parts along with the original to the firearm box add reasonable extra value, when this same totally original LNIB firearm with considerable collector interest comes with a 2 digit serial number the price will accelerate upwards at a good auction site that has a great following and even better reputation like our own "Locust Fork" on the G/B auction side. How much more? can't say for sure , but it could be very substantial.

Some good photos of the firearm or at least tell us what is is in detail and then maybe someone can give you a better answer.

From your post It would seem you don't own it but you're possibly looking at buying it???

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭

well we are waiting ???

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

Yes, I know how mean I am (I'm constantly reminded), but I hate playing games or 20 questions...especially when the ATE rules allow just 10 posts.

Sure, a two digit number adds value, unless of course we're talking about firearms so rare that the serial number is almost irrelevant. There were only 500 Singer .45 Governments made, meaning that the value of Serial Number S800022 is not going to be worth a huge premium over S800422.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭

I understand your question, and frustration in wanting to know how much value it adds.  I have a Colt Ace service model with a single digit serial number that was manufactured in 1935, there were only 9 guns produced that year, of those 9, one went to the designer, David Williams  and two  were procured by the army. The one I have ended up going to the naval supply depot Sewall's Point Virginia. Now that being said does it add to the value? maybe.  The point is that no matter how many guns were produced only nine will have a single digit serial number and if your talking two digit there will only be ninety guns that carry two digits.  Bottom line, low digit serial numbers offer more in uniqueness of when they were manufactured, and that can effect value.    

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Lets make this simple.

WHAT MANUFACTURER IS THE GUN?

WHAT MODEL IS THE GUN?

WHAT CALIBER IS IT CHAMBERED IN?

WHAT IS IT, A RIFLE, PISTOL, REVOLVER?

WHAT BARREL LENGTH?

IS IT BLUED, SS, CHROME, PAINTED WITH OIL PAINT?

SERIAL #22 on a Jennings zink .25 auto is worth its weight in scrap zink. A truly rare desirable collectors item might fund your grandchildren's retirement.

• Options

Okay. it's a Browning A-5, 20 GA 3" Magnum , 28" modified choke ,ventilated rib, original box & papers . 25rds or less fired through it with a serial number under "15"

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Belgium or Japan?

• Options

Belgium or course. Purchased sometime in 1967.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

They didn't start producing 20 ga A5's till 1967??

This discussion has been closed.