In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR-74 or AK-74, that is the question............. opinions please.

loknlodeloknlode Member Posts: 34 ✭✭

I have 3 AK-74's, 2 of which are worth around $2500-3k each, 1 is a tantal build and very well built so it is in the 13-1500 range (these days). I just bought several complete AR lowers. I already had a 5.45x39 AR upper (16"). Threaded barrel, 1/2x28. I shot it this weekend and it shot great with the steel case 7n6 Russian ammo.

I used my 30 cal suppressor and it did a fantastic job cutting the noise to 22mag or 17 cal levels.

pros with the AR 545;

suppressor use, lighter, pistol uppers down to 10" are available, modular design to use other uppers/calibers. (I want a 5.7x28 rifle and pistol upper), and more available accessories.

optics options are endless

cons;

mags harder to find and 30 rounders are pretty much it. I do have 20 mags though so that's not too much of an issue.

reliability. AR's are great rifles but they don't like steel case ammo sometimes and brass 545 is hard to come by and pricey. then again all ammo is that way for now.

AK-74's;

pros;

mags are plentiful and cheap. 45 rounders are available. (the drums suck so they are a non factor)

reliable as hell.

Value, the 2 rare ones I have will continue to increase in value with time, much more so than the AR's. I have a Romanian ROMAK 2 (non kit gun) that was one of the first ones imported (yep, the ones that still had the rivets where the FA group went) serial # 19, and I have a IZHMASH (not kit) saiga STGL31 Fime group import.

con's;

side rail (on some rifles) for optics. fewer options and mount trueness is an issue on some/most so that's a crapshoot.

suppressor use is highly NOT recommended by suppressor manufacturers. (weird thread size and trueness is a serious issue on many AK's) Again, another crapshoot.

heavier but only a pound or 2

now I can get the uppers I want and with lowers I have to make 4 AR-74's (a 16", a 20" and 2 10" uppers) for about $4200 I can sell the AK-74's for close to $6500.

so, I'd be getting 4 rifles for 3 and pocket at least 2 grand in the process.

I'd love to keep them and could but my safespace is non existent which is a good thing. don't say it - wife won't let me put another safe in the house.

and I'll pick up 2 AR-57 uppers, a 16" and a pistol length upper. I mean I could realistically end up with 6 fully functional AR's (2 57cal and 4 545cal) for the money Id get for the 3 AK's

maybe there are other pros and cons I'm not thinking about so your input would be appreciated.

thanks.

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭

OK, here's my take. If you can get that kind of $$ out of those AK 74's, I wouldn't waste any time getting it in MY pocket.

I have an AK74(probably not close to what yours are) that has been sitting in a box on the shelf since the late 90's. Also have a couple of 5.45 AR uppers that get used now and then. Apples vs oranges as far as I'm concerned.

The AK is typical of what one expects from an AK--it goes bang. The scope mount is expensive and not particularly stable or user friendly. Mine shoots OK with the typical 55-59 grain steel cased foreign ammo but keyholes 75% with some 70 grain bullets. Accuracy is good enough to repel boarders but no where near what is required for hunting use.

My original 5.45 AR is factory built and I've shot it a fair amount. 100% functional and fairly accurate with Hornady 60 grain V-max and RWS match ammo. I've shot it side by side against a good 5.56 AR at ranges up to 600 yards and it held it's own although the bullet drop at those ranges is 25% more than the 5.56/223. That 5.45 is hanging behind the seat of my farm pickup right now for varmint control. The second 5.45 is one I assembled using a VooDoo barrel and it's exceptionally accurate with Silver Bear 55 FMJ. I have not tried it with the brass cased RWS yet. Again, fully functional w/o any quirks.

Suppressing the 5.45 is somewhat easier than the 5.56/223 since the 5.45 uses a bit less powder at somewhat lower pressures(just be sure you don't send some corrosive ammo through the can).

Magazines are a bit tricky and I haven't had much luck finding 10 rounders that work. Truthfully, my primary 5.45 mag is a common "Thermold" plastic .223 mag loaded with 7-8 rounds. Works fine in my guns. Have also tried some Grendel mags but those are a bit iffy.

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

IMO the 74 is a better weapon but I like the 47, especially an under folder.

Ammo availability would probably be my deciding factor and that would go to the 47.

RLTW

• Options

Forgot this part. IMHO you're wasting your time with a 20" 5.45 barrel. The factory loads are tailored to the 16" length and little will be gained by adding 4". The 10-12" barrel might be an interesting experiment-possibly less obnoxious than a .223 in that length but only marginally.

• Options
    loknlodeloknlode Member Posts: 34 ✭✭

sam - good luck on finding one w/o taking out a second mortgage. 😟

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

I shoot my Romanian AKM suppressed quite often, and with no ill effect:

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Sell them all and get a Garand From Mark Christian. They are not assault weapons according to the (D) party, just ask millions of WWII Germans and Japanese.

• Options

"They are not assault weapons according to the (D) party, "

A Garand is not an "assault weapon" by any true definition. It actually has NONE of the features which define an Assault Weapon.