In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Experienced Seller Sold New Rifle To Buyer And It Was Defective

Crazyhorse314Crazyhorse314 Member Posts: 2

I need some advice. I'm a stand-up seller and guy and I've always been the first to take responsibility for whatever actions that I take. I purchased a brand new DSA SA58 FAL last month (February 2021) and decided I wanted a different version of the rifle. It was brand new and I had never shot the rifle and I only had it a couple of weeks. I shipped it out through my FFL and the buyer received it. I follow-up with the buyers to make sure they are satisfied. The buyer is an FFL himself and a gunsmith on top of that. He notified me before I could follow-up that he took it out to shoot yesterday.

According to him, the safety was on, and that he was following directions for adjusting the gas block. He loaded a single round into the chamber and released the bolt and as it closed, bang. It appears the case head separated and blew gas into the mag box, destroyed it, and punctured his hand, and frankly, it did not look good. I have the pictures.

Keep in mind, I had not touched it. I'm trying to help the guy out by asking who I bought it from about it and he's going to call DS Arms. Have any of you had this kind of issue as a seller? What did you do? This is the 1st time this has happened to me on Gunbroker. I would welcome everyone's thoughts.

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

He should send it back to the manufacturer, it was a defective rifle out of the box. Let him handle it, the manufacturer should pay shipping both ways for him. Trust me they do not want the first contact to be from a Lawyer for the Complainant.

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin

What bpost said

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

I would expect DSA to request what's left of the box of ammo.

Neal

EDIT: Thinking about this, it occurred to me that most manufacturers of semi-auto rifles with a box magazine recommend that it always be loaded FROM THE MAGAZINE, not inserting single rounds into the chamber. I'm not familiar with DSA, but I would think that you would want every round fully chambered WITH THE EXTRACTOR SLIPPED OVER THE RIM OF THE ROUND & the bolt locked in battery.

• JackHammersJackHammers Member Posts: 3

This is not your fault. Have him take it up with the manufacturer. Otherwise you’ll be in the middle of a headache that will not go away for a few years.

• Crazyhorse314Crazyhorse314 Member Posts: 2

Thanks. I have suggested he contact DSA. From a picture of the ammo, it might have been the round he was using. The shop that I originally purchased from (which I've had no trouble with in the past) has said they have seen nothing like it and also recommended the buyer contact DSA. So I'll do just that. Thanks again, everyone.