In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

shipping a firearm

muzyk07muzyk07 Member Posts: 1

Do a FFL dealer have to send me a copy of their license in order to send the firearm to them.

Comments

• B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

Not unless you're are also licensed. If you hold no FFL, by regulation a dealer need only send you their FFL number, which you can then verify using the FFL EZ Check system FFLeZCheck 3.1.2 - Federal Firearms License Search (atf.gov)

Many here will disagree, and have done so on numerous occasions, but the regulations are quite clear on the matter.

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

As Mark mentioned, the eZ-check system is the best for both parties. It verifies for the shipper that it is legitimate, and it stops copies of the FFL from floating around to be altered.

• Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭

An individual can MAIL long guns USPS but must use "common carrier" (FedEx, UPS) for handguns and they insist on overnight to keep their employees from stealing it.

An FFL holder can mail handguns to another FFL so it might save you money to ask you LGS to mail it for you.

I always printed out the EZ Check info for the post office along with a letter stating "The package contains an unloaded firearm, no ammunition or other hazardous items and is being mailed to a Federal Firearms Licensee" - not required but really made things go smoother, I'm sure.

I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly