In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

RIP Granny

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

Barry Sotero's grandmother died, she was 99. One one of my trips to Kenya I went by her house it was in 09 or 10 and she had a big sign in front of her house. I went back by and she was outside so I stopped and talked to her for about 10 min. My Swahili was fair and we had a pleasant conversation. She was a really nice old lady and very proud of her grand son Barrack Obama.

She never asked if I voted for him.

She is not really his grandma but more of a step grandma. But she was a nice old lady and I gave her a tin of good Kenyan Tea and she gave me a hug.

RIP Granny Sarah.

RLTW

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******
    edited March 2021

I bet she gave a lot of grandma hugs in her 99 years.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Damn you have some cool stories.

• Options

One cool thing about where she lived is all the roads were built by Italian POWs during WW2. From where she lives to the largest town which think is Kisumu there is a bridge that the Italian POWs built and it has a marker on in Italian and English commemorating when the bridge was built. The British worked the heck out of the Italian POWs captured during the North Africa campaign. We did the same with the Germans down in the south.

She had a nice house and all the schools in the town were called The Senator Barack Obama _____.

RLTW

• Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome life event. The vast array of experiences and the knowledge base of the membership continues to amaze me.

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited March 2021

I'll bet that anyone who walked into her house hungry walked out with a full tummy! Sam, I thought I had lead an interesting life, but my stories can't hold a candle to yours.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭

you should write your stories maybe do a book you have some amazing adventures

at least thanks for sharing with us

• Options

I have been bless with a crazy life of travel. It is mostly thanks to Uncle Sam for 25 years and some to the greedy Gov Contractors I worked for the next 10 years.

I have meet some interesting people and some people who should have been thrown into a wood chipper.

Even though I was not and am not a BHO fan I really enjoyed meeting Granny Sarah.

I am glad ya'll enjoyed the story. So of my fondest memories are from Africa and place I would love to live but is really a tragedy.

RLTW

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,358 ***** Forums Admin