In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rough bore picture New picture added.

SoreShoulderSoreShoulder Member Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭
edited April 2021 in General Discussion

This rifle shot pretty well too.

It is my theory that the value manufacturers know exactly how many barrels they can ream before the tool gets too dull to give good accuracy, and they keep making bores with the tool getting duller and duller until the limit is reached.

They probably save the rougher bores from the end of a production run for their value models.

This is from a .22 LR. I hope the reaming marks on the lands weren't scraping lead off the bullet, especially by the hollow base where the firing pressure was pressing the bullet into the bore.

If it was scraping lead, it would seem to have created more airborne lead dust at the range for me to breathe and for the staff to clean up, and more would have probably wound up on the floor when I cleaned the gun.

Comments

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭✭

My understanding is that all machine tools have a tolerance range they operate in .Once a tool exceeds the limit it gets replaced . Looks like maybe the QC dept may have slipped up a little

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

If you are worried about airborne lead dust at the range.............Dr. Fuachi says to wear a mask. Wear a mask. Wear two masks.

Worried about lead dust? Really? Just reclaim it and re-sell it.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,631 ✭✭✭✭

your theory ? may be or maybe not as posted all tooling wears they may have waited a bit late and QC said ship it

a little lead dust I think there is more to worry about happing now in this country

besides we all go to go , no one gets out alive

• Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

The first picture tells me that who ever was running the machine that day had the feed rate turned up and was making some good piecework for that time and a half pay.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,965 ✭✭✭✭

I don't really believe .22s need much to pretty much get them in there. I am not talking biathlon level, but squirrel hunting level.

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭✭

lead will fill in the nicks and craneys