In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Loaded Black powder how to get bullet out?

hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭

Bought a CVA HAwkens cheap ( $50.00) now I know why.think it's loaded.

Cleaning rod stops about 1.3/4 inches from the nipple. So, assume its loaded

Tried to pull lead out but no go. Can't get the breech plug out (yes I've soaked in in about everthing)

Any ideas.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭

shoot it.....pull nipple and take toothpick push powder in, replace nipple, cap, and shoot.

• Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭

Get a bullet puller.

• Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭

+1

If you can't get it with a ball puller there are CO2 powered kits available. The adapter threads in in place of the nipple and then a CO@ cartridge is used to blow out powder, patch and ball.

• Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Tried a Bullet puller and can't get the breech screw on the off with out destroying.

Guess I'll have fun with a Propane torch. 😁 Just Kidding. Might not be worth the effort.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭✭

If you try the torch wear full protection, don't ask. If you can get the nipple out try replacing with a grease fitting pushing it out with a grease gun is safe.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,389 ***** Forums Admin

Any reason you can't/won't shoot it like mentioned above? I'd torch 'er off, done that several times over the years.

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Improvise an attachment to screw into or seal against the nipple hole and use compressed air. Point it in a safe direction. It is almost like shooting it.

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭

HPD, That would be my first solution, ...a while back.

Ehler Dave loaned his muzzle loader to a friend that returned it loaded, and Dave shot it, to unload it. It had a full load of smokeless in it. Should have seen what it did to that barrel. Dave got lucky with just a couple of shrapnel bruises. Now I think of something like that, the same way I do about shooting "unknown" reloads.

Never unloaded any rifles, but I've done two shotguns and several revolver cylinders with compressed air. Point it at something you don't want holes in though. 120psi will put a .36cal ball through sheetrock,...don't ask how I know that.

• Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******

I have a ramrod setup with a drill bit and then a screw for a bullet puller.

4F into the nipple, pricked often to push it down and then keep filling with 4 F until full then cap it off.

But, without knowing how it was loaded, I be hesitant to try to shoot it out.

Compressed air or the grease gun would be the best bet.

@TRAP55 , Elher Dave is a name that I haven't heard in a very long time.

I do hope that he and his daughter are doing well.

• Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭

If the compressed air isn't feasible I'd try getting a long steel rod that would fit down the barrel and weld a drill bit to the end or grind a cutting edge into the end and drill the bullet out using an electric drill.

This discussion has been closed.