In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help for people that can't decide scam or not

2»

Comments

• CastlekeeperCastlekeeper Member Posts: 1

Beware of the web site, "Megafirearms.com". Site looks authentic & prices reasonable. Morning after I paid I received notice from my bank of 2 fraudulent charges to my card that were denied. RipOffReport.com has been notified - as well as local police up to D.O.J.

Also use caution on buying Hornady 80255 (.223 Spiral Point) ammo from any site. The seller will promise 2-3 day delivery after paying & I'm still waiting on product 20 days after getting "apologetic" emails.

• XCalXCal Member Posts: 5

Beware of Clelen Robert Scroggins, address: PO Box 96 Francis oklahoma 74844 Oklahoma. Changes P.O. Box and that name is a deceased person.

• 200grain200grain Member Posts: 1

GunBroker Pay setup requires that you enter your Bank account information--OK as in bank, account number, name/address--plus your bank account password--NOT OK.

• BroWebbBroWebb Member Posts: 8

Hello. I am thinking I'm about to have to do the exact same thing as you, seeing as practically the exact same thing happened to me. Do you have any advice or experience you can share about your dealings with the USPS Inspection Service and the investigation that led to you getting your money back?

• dthdth Member Posts: 2

Take a look at item #921854753. This same revolver was previously sold on Guns International. The pics on GI show a matte stainless revolver with silver grip medallions. Now it's miraculously a bright stainless revolver with gold grip medallions. No mention in the ad that the revolver was refinished. I've contacted the seller about it with no response. Too bad there isn't a way to attach comments directly to the ad so as to warn potential bidders about what they're actually bidding on.

• shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭✭

Or, it could just be a different gun.

The seller on that auction is a top 25 seller with over 7000 feedbacks, unlikely to be a scam.

• AlbinsFirearmsAlbinsFirearms Member Posts: 14

Be aware of a possible scam from a potential buyer acting extremely naive regarding the Gunbroker bidding process. I've had at least two of those now and tried to provide some basic helpful information even though that same info was very plainly included within the listings. Their also seem to target the most expensive item which I had listed. Questions like, "What payment methods do you take if I decide to bid?" Their follow up message has been to send me a link and request that I open a PDF type file containing their personal information, info on their local FFL, etc. and requesting prior authorization from me for them to bid on an item that I have listed. When I declined to open the link which they provided, then I never heard from them again. I suspect the links are being used to get sellers to open malware of some type.

• ifrarrowifrarrow Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

During Jan and Feb here in 2022 I've had two scammers try to sell me guns. You should only use USPS MO's. Try to call them before sending any money. Check their writings to you, see if they use proper English. Usually it's a buy it now at a way lower price than the going rate.

• bookmanWVbookmanWV Member Posts: 4

I just had a buyer who asked several times to accept PayPal for payment. He missed the first auction reserve, then I relisted the item with a lower reserve a good bit under his highest bid from the first listing. He reached out and asked what the reserve was and would I take paypal. I said no to paypal and let him know his last bid on the first auction would cover the newly set reserve.

Then he does not bid enough to win the auction and the gun did not sell again. So he reaches out and says he had a reminder set but missed the end of the auction. Would I sell him the gun and accept paypal as payment. Said he was uncomfortable sending a cashier's check. Also said he would provide FFL information.

I said no to all of it. Told him that firearm is listed many times from other sellers and was certain he would find one to buy. I really get the feeling he was trying to goad me into accepting PayPal.

• DwestshooterDwestshooter Member Posts: 1

Hello fellow shooters. Has anyone here done business with theguncrewllc? I bought a handgun on layaway back in March 2022 but never received a receipt after two payments. I found out today that their online store is closed. After reading several customer reviews, I think they are running a SCAM business. I would appreciate your feedback.

• Daily10MilesDaily10Miles Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2022

Just purchased an item from a seller, buy it now, below market price.

He texted me asking for a Zelle payment. Item is in Ohio, number is from Montana. Zelle attached to the number is no good, he wants me to send it to a different Zelle account. He kept asking what my Zelle limit was, so we could break the total into payments to multiple Zelle accounts. Email address comes back to a Company based in Zambia / Africa.

When I told him I need a picture of the zelle account on a piece of paper next to the pistol, he said he'll do this Tomorrow. But he still wants $500 Tonight to show I'm a "serious buyer". When I declined he got angry.

He has four other items for sale, all with buy it nows, all below market, all with different backgrounds. Account has a perfect trading history (as a buyer), with last activity 11 years ago. No seller ratings. Would love an admin to check into this, the last time I was nervous about something like this the transaction went smoothly.

Edit, the item I purchased has now been relisted, and the seller has blocked me for not sending him payment by Zelle. Reported to GB staff and negative feedback left, hopefully it gets taken care of before anyone gets taken for a ride. Seller's name is "iamplastik"

• bibic682bibic682 Member Posts: 1

Be aware of possible account hack. I had not been on gunbroker for a while and came to discover that I had a listing posted for a firearm I dont even own. It was listed as a buy now under my account and the buyer reached out to me about payment. I informed him this was not posted by me. There is no one in my household but me and my wife here all the time. This had to be posted from another computer than mine. I cancelled the sale and filed for a credit. I have since changed my password. But if hacked from gunbroker..they will get the new information anyway

• competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Just had a user try that now -- he messed up though as the item doesn't need an FFL; I'm not opening his link so I don't know what his exact scam is, but I see it's a redirect. I have notified GB (I don't know if they'll follow up on it). I won't post the user's name but it starts with "designerx..."; if anyone gets any messages from such a user, just ignore him.

• MadalynMadalyn Member Posts: 1

There is a 30.06 7600 carbine for sale now. It was listed as Sold on 07/03/2022 for $1350 and Sold again on 07/11/2022 for the but now price of $1450. On 07/11/22 it shows relisted. I am the only one that has bid on this gun for $1000.

I asked Gunbroker. They said he’s doing nothing in violation of their policies.

sure seems suspicious to me. Any opinions or advice?

Seller is unrated and has no other items.

Got a link to the auction? How do you see it was sold so long ago?

• chrisjchrisj Member Posts: 1

I paid for a gun and the seller now disappeared.

What can I do?

Link to the auction? How did you pay? More info needed. Very ambiguous post with no information to help you.

• Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭

I am on another forum and from time to time we get asked about a certain online seller... I look at the website and one of the first things that I noticed is the English is funny. And of course no credit card and they have were you can chat. When ordering these days you must think like Sherlock Holmes and read the signs.

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******

Please update info if/as needed. Thank you, @shootuadeal