In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Re-barreling a Yugo M48 Mauser 7.92x57 in .308

The97fordThe97ford Member Posts: 5
edited April 2021 in Ask the Experts

Hi

I'm looking to put a .308 barrel on my Yugo M48. I haven't been able to find any of the barrels specifically produced for this purpose in stock anywhere.

What are my options?

I have found some 1916 Spanish and 1935 Argentinean barrels in .308 or 7.62 NATO in stock. So far, I think the 1893 based Spanish Mauser might work better because it was chambered in 7.92 like my M48? I've been reading that some of the Spanish steel used was soft and could take 7.62 NATO only but not any commercial .308. Or was this for the receiver and other components only?

Are there any other .308 barrels from other manufacturers which would thread in and headspace rather simply? I will be having my professional gunsmith do the install but hope to avoid cutting a barrel and retreading or any major redesign to the receiver or barrel. Or might the issues with the extractor and locking lugs all fitting be too much of an issue here? He said he believes both the 1916 and 1935 are compatible, but this is a niche question and just not sure.

I'd much rather re-barrel this great action in a modern caliber, I know I'll shoot more, than put it in the back of the safe and buy a different bolt action .308

Thank you,

Comments