In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 700 Classic stock question

silvermallardsilvermallard Member Posts: 23 ✭✭

I have a remington 700 classic in 300 weatherby magnum. I am looking for a replacement stock. Will a stock from a remington 700 classic 338 win mag fit my 300 weatherby?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭

Any Remington 700 Magnum stock will fit .

Doesn't have to be a Classic , unless that's what you want.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Yes I want a classic. Is there a difference between a remington long action and a magnum action? I know the 338 is a shorter cartridge than the 300 weatherby.

• Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭

Action is the Same.

Barrel Channel on magnums are wider than Standard. Most magnums will be the same (exception would be 458.)

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options

Ok. That answers my question. The difference isn't in the action length it's the barrel channel that is different. Thanks.

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if this will be helpful, but here goes. I don't have a 700 in .300 Weatherby but I do have a 721 in .300 H&H. As you no doubt know, the 721 is the fore-runner of the 700; essentially a 700 with no frills. I would have bet the long magnum set-up would be quite different from the standard in the Remington: It certainly is in the old Winchester 70. So for grins, I took apart my .300 and my .270 to compare them. I can find no difference! The follower is the same size and interchanges with the .270. Magazine box is same width and length (I didn't think to measure it). I would guess a plain old .30/06 size stock would fit your rifle.

• Options

Thank. That is helpful.