In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I was thinking about this...

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2021 in Politics

As I was buzzing along at 75MPH getting 35.7 MPG out of the Kia Soul as I came back from Easter with my family.

There is about a gabillion miles of asphalt roads and millions of acres of asphalt parking lots and driveways in America.

Asphalt is a byproduct of cracking oil.

If we no longer use unleaded and diesel fuel just how do the greenies propose to get the surface they drive on? Concrete is EXPENSIVE and causes its own problems for greenies in making it. Are we doomed to go back to dirt roads in the next 25 years?

Comments

• savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭

Dirt road may be easier on the drive train

• pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭

You mean you don't have your name on the George Jetson Musk flying automobile list yet?

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,308 ***** Forums Admin

What chiefr said, and add that phony Gore to the list.

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭

That..........along with about a gazillion other uses, is why we will extract oil forever. The greenies just don't understand organic chemistry, which was by the way, two of my hardest semesters in college.

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭

red bull it gives you wings🤩

• serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

Flying drones cars will be the key with A.I. doing the flying but high winds in one of those is going to be a pain for them. I suspect electric vehicles with better batteries that are coming and renewables energy will be pushed with tax breaks and higher fuel taxes on all hydrocarbons burning vehicles will skyrocket soon.

Mass transit like in Europe will be the main the way for the common people to travel will be mandatory soon too. Bicycles/three wheeler will come back in vogue with an electrical motor and some kind of cabin for weather etc..

serf

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Mass transit works awesome for populated urban and suburban areas. It fails miserably in the flyover states. America is a large nation with vast stretches of open road, having a battery that MIGHT go 300 miles at 72 degrees with no wind or mountains to climb is great. But they fall very short when the weather is hot or cold and the hills have thousands of feet to climb.

I know batteries are getting better every day but unless we crack oil to get asphalt the roads become dirt trails worthy of a modified Jeep with a gas powered 400HP to navigate, at 10 MPH average.

America moves goods and services on diesel fuel, I suppose they could make nuclear powered tugs, fishing boats and river barge pushers but until something changes the world is running on diesel for commerce.

• Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

The vast majority of Alaskan villages are not on the roadway, the only way to get there is by boat, plane or dogsled. What do we do, uproot all the aboriginal people and move them to the city?